Loud roaring noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud roaring noise

I went for a ride today. Gassed up and rode 40 miles or so with friends. It was all curvy roads all 40-50 mph stuff. Riding with friends. I'm sitting behind a Plexifairing wearing a half helmet. I stopped and said goodbye to my buddies. I got on a numbered highway and start running 60 mph. After a short while I hear a very loud roar. There's a car behind me, so I can't just stop. It sounds like really loud cam chain noise. or?

I stopped. I still hear the noise at idle, like rushing air. Not so loud at idle. I shut it off and check the oil. I let it cool a few minutes. It starts, I go. I'm behind cars, so the speed is now 40 mph or so. Now not so loud. Cars all go right, I go left. I catch up to an SUV. I got a short passing zone. I get 80 mph on the pass. I slow to 60 and ride home without issue.

I replaced the cam chain last year and added ACCT. What was that roar? It was so loud I felt the need to shut down now!
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Is it only when your moving Marty, or all the time?
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I could still hear it when I stopped. It wasn't as loud when I stopped. After shutdown/restart it went back to normal.

I asked myself if it was a roaring wheel bearing while going down the road. Stopping did not make it go away entirely.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

Stuck starter relay or clutch?
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
          Stuck starter relay or clutch?
          I was with Jeff and Brent. We stopped when it was time for them to go south. I don't remember whether or not I shut the engine off. That may be critical information.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Maybe it's the countershaft bolt/washer backing out hitting the clutch basket. I sure hope it isn't.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
              Maybe it's the countershaft bolt/washer backing out hitting the clutch basket. I sure hope it isn't.
              Was my thought or the hyvo chain.........
              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Ear plugs fell out? :-)
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  Ear plugs fell out? :-)
                  That's how it sounded, but I'm behind a Plexifairing 3 wearing a half helmet. It's actually quieter behind that windscreen with a half helmet than with my full face helmet. I had planned to just ride four miles to town, then back. That four miles turned into nearly 100.

The noise sounded like a large roller bearing full of rocks. My first thought was wheel bearing, but that was eliminated when I stopped and could still hear the noise.

I may have switched off and restarted the engine when I said goodbye to Brent and Jeff. That would give credence to Greg's hypothesis. After shutdown and restart, everything is back to normal, or so it seems. I'm going to get back on it shortly and see it I still have an issue from cold start.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Working...
                  X