• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference
    between walmart battery #5on-18l-a2 and 5on18l-a3,
    no one at walmart or googling it gives no definitive answer
    ?????Thanks
    78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Can't answer that one, Joe.
    But, I will say "Buyer Beware" when it comes to WalMart batteries lately.

At least the stores around here...
    They changed battery mfgr suppliers, and when they did so, they have way more issues now, won't take them back for exchange, put ya through a bunch of hassles if you try to take them back... They want to charge the battery while you wait for 4 hours, test it...then tell you it's ok when it's not...

BTDT... won't ever do it again.

Plus, they've raised their prices to the point there's no cost savings.
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

battery

Thanks Bob,I usually go with yuasa (oem) but wanted to save a few bucks.
      I don't need any hassles or bs. just wanted to get the RIGHT one...
      78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Originally posted by rdmcguy View Post
        Thanks Bob,I usually go with yuasa (oem) but wanted to save a few bucks.
        I don't need any hassles or bs. just wanted to get the RIGHT one...
        No hassle intended Joe..........as you know, anything and EVERYTHING at wally world is manufacturers LOWEST end product ....
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

All those other numbers really don't mean much, the 18L is the battery group number and that's all you need.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Every wal Mart and Sam's club battery , NO MATTER THE NAME ON THE PACKAGE, is made by Johnson Controls (the company that makes Optima batteries).
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Can you check the terminal position and type? That would be my guess at the difference.
              '81 XS11H Venturer - holed up in storage while life happened since 07/08/04
              '81 Kawasaki KE175 enduro - 63 mph of smokey fun, now with collector plates!

Comment

Nice thought but in this case they are identical. The A2 part number replaced the A3.

Look at battery picture here it says so on side of battery.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-A50N18...pr_product_top

John
                John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

decision time

Thanks guys,now all I have to do is compare prices with a Yuasa that I can get for $75 with my discount at the local yammie shop, and to make sure that if I go with the wally world one they don't try to pull some bs as far as warranty and such

Comment

I've been using wallyworld batteries without any issues and get around 5 years of service out of them. Once a year I top of with distilled water and recharge them. I ride my bike all year because I can here in FL. Extreme temperatures are supposed to be the biggest enemies of batteries and the heat in the summer here is no pansy. Yet, for the price and longevity, you can't beat them. My first battery for my G was a Yuasa and it only lasted 3 years. Just my 2 cents worth.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
                      I've been using wallyworld batteries without any issues and get around 5 years of service out of them. Once a year I top of with distilled water and recharge them. I ride my bike all year because I can here in FL. Extreme temperatures are supposed to be the biggest enemies of batteries and the heat in the summer here is no pansy. Yet, for the price and longevity, you can't beat them. My first battery for my G was a Yuasa and it only lasted 3 years. Just my 2 cents worth.
                      I used to agree 100% with you, Cobia.

I used them for ages, and had good luck with them.
                      If I had a problem, they used to take care of it.

Not anymore, at least in the Oklahoma stores.

Can't remember for sure who their battery mfgr. used to be (I believe it was Exide...) and, as Nate said, has changed to Johnson Controls.

Then last year, my Mom had problems with one of their batteries that I had put in her Tahoe. It failed within 10 months, and wouldn't even burn a dome light.
                      I jumped it off, and drove it for about 10 miles, let the truck charge it for another 30 minutes, gauges all looked good, checked it with my DVOM, all looked good, connections were good, put it on a battery charger...
                      The next day... dead as a hammer. So, I jumped it again, took it to my mechanic, had the electrical system checked out, all was good...except the battery. So, I took it back to Walmart. Instead of checking, then replacing, they took the battery out of the truck, charged it for 3 1/2 hours, tested...then said it was ok and refused to exchange it.
                      I drove it home, disconnected the battery cable overnight to make sure the truck didn't have a draw that was draining it. Next day, hooked it up...dead. DVOM showed 9.2 V's.
                      Took it back...they refused to exchange it. Blamed the Tahoe.
                      That's when I about lost it. It's one thing to spend the $35 these things used to cost, but now they're $135, and IMHO that's not acceptable.
                      They told me that the reason they couldn't exchange it was because they had changed suppliers, and they would not take it back.
                      It was at that point I asked to speak with the store manager, who told me the same thing. I then told them they had sold me their last battery, and I left.
                      I next went to O'Reilly's, had them test the electrical system, diode check the alt, load test everything, they agreed that it looked like a defective battery.

The very FIRST thing they asked when I walked in and told them I was having a battery / charging issue, they asked, "Where did you buy it...let me guess...WalMart, right?" I said yes, they then told me how many people they had seen recently coming through with the same story...bad batteries from them, under warranty, but WalMart was refusing to take the back and exchange them.

So, I bought another new battery ($130) from O'Reilley's, and that was the last trouble we've had with it.

Now, it could just be my hometown store's management, or just Oklahoma store's policy...but, based on what I was told, I don't think so.

All I know is, I won't ever be buying one from them again.
                      After they made me sit there for 4 hours that one night, then go through the rest of their BS... then refused to simply exchange it to rule out the battery as the problem... their prices are the same or higher than other's now...
                      No way.
                      Friends don't let friends walk into that kind of crap w/o warning them, I think.
                      My 2 cents, and personal experience. Your experience may vary, though.
                      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
                      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Might just wait till spring

Price checked a wally battery yesterday and asked specifically about the warranty/return policy..was told no problem,which doesn't mean too much
                        but then again I have been known to get forceful/ugly when need be.
                        for the time being might just swap from bike to bike till spring.
                        On a sidenote I was watching a tv show about recycling a while back and was able to notice in the mountain of batteries that bright yellow everstart label seemed to be prevalant...maybe that is a red flag.

Comment

Working...
                        X