Disecting the LG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disecting the LG

My LG got kinda loud 2/3s of the way back east, look at the right side joint between the collector and muffler --
    [IMG][/IMG]

So I pulled the left side to check it and found this --
    [IMG][/IMG]

Getting old doesn't pay I guess. Dropped them off at a local fabricator we've done business with over the years, he said I'll have them back next week good as new.

Also found out why my back brakes weren't much help --
    [IMG][/IMG]
    PO certainly got his money's worth out of those!
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
    My LG got kinda loud 2/3s of the way back east, look at the right side joint between the collector and muffler --
    [IMG][/IMG]

So I pulled the left side to check it and found this --
    [IMG][/IMG]

Getting old doesn't pay I guess. Dropped them off at a local fabricator we've done business with over the years, he said I'll have them back next week good as new.

Also found out why my back brakes weren't much help --
    [IMG][/IMG]
    PO certainly got his money's worth out of those!
    I'd say so! ......after that long ride, your certainly not wastin' any time takin' care obvious issues .
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Billy,
      Despite some issues your XS brought you home
      Mine once brought me home running on TWO cylinders in the pitch dark and pouring rain but we made it
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

The other thing that really stuck in my mind about the trip was how these motors are designed to run for extended periods of time at high revs. The speed limit here in NY is 55 except for some of the interstates where it is 65. With the stock FD this bike runs 5500 rpms at 80 mph, which was the speed limit for much of the trip east from ID. Each time I got back on I-90 after stopping for gas, I'd hit 60 mph at 4100 rpms on the on ramp climbing to cruising speed and then think "Man this thing is screaming underneath me!" But after a couple of minutes it just became highway noise and I didn't think about it anymore. Then I get home and climb on the XJ with the FD swap and go 60mph, two entirely different animals for sure!
        Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

Originally posted by BillyRok View Post
          The other thing that really stuck in my mind about the trip was how these motors are designed to run for extended periods of time at high revs. The speed limit here in NY is 55 except for some of the interstates where it is 65. With the stock FD this bike runs 5500 rpms at 80 mph, which was the speed limit for much of the trip east from ID. Each time I got back on I-90 after stopping for gas, I'd hit 60 mph at 4100 rpms on the on ramp climbing to cruising speed and then think "Man this thing is screaming underneath me!" But after a couple of minutes it just became highway noise and I didn't think about it anymore. Then I get home and climb on the XJ with the FD swap and go 60mph, two entirely different animals for sure!
          Yeah, When I still had the SF it had the stock FD. The difference between it and the SG was really not that much riding around town but the SF felt a little jumpy. The big difference was on the highway, I could get on it and be doing 110 -115 QUICK but with the higher RPMS I had to stop for gas about every 80 -90 miles or so. On the SG it's 90 - 100.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Tell ya what, make a few shifts at 7500-8000 and cruising RPM at 80 doesn't seem to high all of a sudden.
            '79 XS11 F
            Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
            Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
            GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
              Tell ya what, make a few shifts at 7500-8000 and cruising RPM at 80 doesn't seem to high all of a sudden.
              Your running a Standard with a 17" rear tire Wade. That's EXACTLY the same gear ratio as a Special with the 750/850 FD mod. Throw your leg over a stock Special sometime.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                Your running a Standard with a 17" rear tire Wade. That's EXACTLY the same gear ratio as a Special with the 750/850 FD mod. Throw your leg over a stock Special sometime.
                5,000rpm, 5th gear is 76mph on my Venturer. Speedo is also dead-nuts on with GPS. That's with new Conti- Go tires front and rear. So IMO, that's a good baseline when comparing a stock Standard, and Special having the triple final drive . Having said that, what's the ACTUAL margin of difference on mph at that same 5,000rpm?
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                  5,000rpm, 5th gear is 76mph on my Venturer. Speedo is also dead-nuts on with GPS. That's with new Conti- Go tires front and rear. So IMO, that's a good baseline when comparing a stock Standard, and Special having the triple final drive . Having said that, what's the ACTUAL margin of difference on mph at that same 5,000rpm?
                  Ok Brant, I haven't ACTUALLY gotten that anal with the comparison. I haven't done any scientific experiments and calculated the results with my slide rule or complicated mathematic formulas but I know that riding next to someone on a Standard with the stock FD and 17" wheel with my Special with the 850 FD and the 16" wheel the engines are turning so close to the exact same RPM it sets up a harmonic pulse with the exhaust sound.

BTW, I wouldn't trust a GPS to be all that accurate. Mine said I had reached my destination at Falters house in Iowa when I was in the middle of a corn field a mile away.
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                    Ok Brant, I haven't ACTUALLY gotten that anal with the comparison. I haven't done any scientific experiments and calculated the results with my slide rule or complicated mathematic formulas but I know that riding next to someone on a Standard with the stock FD and 17" wheel with my Special with the 850 FD and the 16" wheel the engines are turning so close to the exact same RPM it sets up a harmonic pulse with the exhaust sound.

BTW, I wouldn't trust a GPS to be all that accurate. Mine said I had reached my destination at Falters house in Iowa when I was in the middle of a corn field a mile away.
                    Hmmmmm.............sounds like POSSIBLY your GPS is having' logistic issues .

Comment

Working...
                    X