Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging Question

Hi Guys,

I have done a couple of searches on this and just want to verify what I think I read.

I took my 80 XS1100 SG out for a ride on Sat and about an hour later the signals stopped working and the headlight was dim. Finally the bike died. After charging the battery over night I checked the voltage of the battery. Then started the bike and reved to 2000 rpm and got no change in voltage. My tach works fine. So is the problem the regulator / recifier???

Thanks,

Steve
    1980 XS100 SG Gone but not Forgotten really wish I could have kept it
    1998 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder

With the bike on, see if you have a magnetic field over the alternator cover by using a piece of iron.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Skids,

Sorry I forgot to mention that I did that test with a thin feeler guage blade and it stuck to the stator cover. So it seems that the stator is working.

Steve

Comment

Battery might be dead?

Try cleaning the regulator contacts. Mine failed, cleaned the corroded contacts, still nothing, then upon close examination there was the remnants of a washer on one of the posts that was insulating the durn thing. Cleaned that off and it was fine.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty,

The battery is a new one and it show voltage. So I don't think its the battery. I'll check the connector and see how that looks.

Thanks,
          Steve

Comment

Bad batteries can fool you. It needs to be load-tested. Also, the headlight is a big draw on the battery at idle. You might want to pull the headlight fuse if you are going to run it in the garage.

Originally posted by freebird01752
            Marty,

The battery is a new one and it show voltage. So I don't think its the battery. I'll check the connector and see how that looks.

Thanks,
            Steve
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

You have magnetic field and no charging even at increased rpms... I would check the connectors to the stator and check out the grounds real well. Not that the rectifier/regulator is frame grounded (the black wire goes nowhere at the clip).
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Reg/Rec test

Easier IMHO ( ) to put a voltage meter over the battery terminals with the engine running and increase revs. You should get around 14v at higher revs (say) up to 5500 rpm. I usually blip the throttle up to there so not to put the motor on too much sustained load...An exact value will be in the manuals somewhere but around there should give you what you need.

To be ultra careful you may want to warm the engine up a little first as it's not good to rev too hard from cold...

If you get no voltage movement at all you have one of two things happening of course (is nothing ever simple ). From the symptoms you describe I think you'll probably find this... Charging voltage needs to exceed the 12volts of the output in order to provide some input.. if you see what I mean.

1. No charging at the alternator on the end of the crank
                2. Reg/rec gone down.

Number 2 (in my experience) is the most likely.... but there are tests to differentiate between these... errr...not near my manual so haven't details.

Contacts on old bikes are common Gremlins so a good place to start.

Best of luck
                XS1.1 sport - Sold June 2005 :-(
                Guzzi 850
                Z1000

Comment

Hi Guys,

I am not getting any change in voltage ant any rpms. it stays around 12.x volts. It drops if I run the hi beam or turn on the signals.

I have a regulator on the way. but wont be here until late next week. So I will try some of the things that you all mention in the mean time. I'll report my findings.

I did check the connector on ther reg and they seems to be a little dirty. How is the best way to clean the connectors??

UK1.1 if you can let me know the tests to narrow down the problem that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by freebird01752
                    Hi Guys,

I am not getting any change in voltage ant any rpms. it stays around 12.x volts. It drops if I run the hi beam or turn on the signals.

I have a regulator on the way. but wont be here until late next week. So I will try some of the things that you all mention in the mean time. I'll report my findings.

I did check the connector on ther reg and they seems to be a little dirty. How is the best way to clean the connectors??

UK1.1 if you can let me know the tests to narrow down the problem that would be great.

Thanks,

Steve
                    Go here and read the FAQ titled "All of the components in the charging system of my bike test out OK but it still doesn’t charge."
                    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Is it the Alternator or Reg/rec unit

OK...

Thought I'd use the gospel according to "Clymer" for this as I also have a UK model Yam Workshop Manual and UK Haynes manual and knowing our luck there will be something different I haven't thought of. This way the Clymer manual will be more relavent to bikes sold in North America....

First, as I said before, I suspect the reg/rec unit or dodgy wires somewhere - as this is what has caused me grief before... but on Kwacks and Suzies.... especially those darn GS1000 Suzukis...deep joy the charging circuits on those .

Now to avoid too much work as I'm naturally lazy... . lets rule out the Alternator first (as the reg/rec unit resistance test procedure means I'm going to really have to fire up the scanner and email you a drawing!) - which I will do if you are still struggling so don't worry there....

Alternator testing... your electrical generator, behind the cover at the RH end of the crank

First disconnect the block connector for the alternator - you'll need to follow the cable coming out of the cover.

1. Connect an ohm-meter to between brown and green terminals. Value should be 3.5ohms +/- 10%.

2. Connect meter between each of the white terminals ad check against the other two. Should be 0.4 ohms +/-10%

If you are not getting the the above check the wires going to the generator coils between the connector and unit itself...and make sure they are OK. If they are then the coil is shorting or going open circuit on you... My advice is that the old wire connections are likely culprits - so check em carefully if you have an odd reading before panicing about the alternator windings. If the US is like the UK there may be a few auto-electrical coil winding guys around to re-build the coils if worst comes to worst (in my experience not a likely outcome)... but you may be unlucky.

There you go - if that checks out all OK it's likely to be the Regulator/Rectifier unit. Once you get that far and you want to test them properly drop me a private message or reply here and I'll send over a scanned drawing..... You could always buy a Clymer manual for the XS1100 instead...

Good luck
                      Guzzi 850
                      Z1000

Comment

O.K. Guys,

I think I found the problem. I checked the connections and the connector for the reg was melted in a couple of places on the 5 wire connector. So now I need to get the connector and wire ends to replace them. Looks like there was some arcing going on.

I have ordered the clymer manual also.

Steve

Comment

Yes! I like happy endings. Keep us posted.
                          Marty in NW PA
                          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                          This IS my happy face.

Comment

Result

Hey Steve - glad to hear it.....

Fingers crossed that'll cure it.

Once it's all back together check the the new connector isn't getting too hot for any reason... just a thought in case there's moer to it...

Chances are that poor connections in the block that melted led to the over heating....

Good luck mate
                            Guzzi 850
                            Z1000

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just an update on my problem. Got my connectors today (thanks geezer) and changed them out. I am now showing some charging but not what it should be. I am charging the battery on a show charge and will check the readings againg in the morning. I have a regulator coming and should be here Wed.
                              I will report my finding after the next test.

Thanks again for all of your help.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X