Driveshaft boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft boot

I was told that there is really only 2 ways to get a boot on, take off the rear wheel and all that's connected to it and remove the swing arm and get to it that way, or if the engine is already on the bike, take the engine off. I read that and was told that by a bunch of people.

Under the understanding that those are in fact true observations I just want to brag real quick because all I did was disconnect the 4 bolts that attach the driveshaft to the engine and slipped the boot in between them. It took patience and determination but I got it on without taking apart the bike and it took me probably 30-45mins. It didn't get cut and it is now perfectly snug on my bike. Looks great too.

If others have done the same and it's not that impressive then disregard the brag and continue on your day! Hahahaha
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Originally posted by MichaelisEvolving View Post
    I was told that there is really only 2 ways to get a boot on, take off the rear wheel and all that's connected to it and remove the swing arm and get to it that way, or if the engine is already on the bike, take the engine off. I read that and was told that by a bunch of people.

Under the understanding that those are in fact true observations I just want to brag real quick because all I did was disconnect the 4 bolts that attach the driveshaft to the engine and slipped the boot in between them. It took patience and determination but I got it on without taking apart the bike and it took me probably 30-45mins. It didn't get cut and it is now perfectly snug on my bike. Looks great too.

If others have done the same and it's not that impressive then disregard the brag and continue on your day! Hahahaha
    Nice work!...........but I'll disregard.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Only time I had to replace one is when I tore it pulling the engine.

On another note. If you haven't pulled the swing arm and inspected, greased, and properly torqued the swing arm bearings you probably should. Sticky or loose bearings can cause handling problems.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Only time I had to replace one is when I tore it pulling the engine.

On another note. If you haven't pulled the swing arm and inspected, greased, and properly torqued the swing arm bearings you probably should. Sticky or loose bearings can cause handling problems.
        Like on my '78 when I would downshift and the bike would go crooked from the swing arm sliding back and forth....
        78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
        79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Well done! I dare say a liberal spray of silicone spray would make things easier too....l
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            Well done! I dare say a liberal spray of silicone spray would make things easier too....l
            +1.......that stuff magicly allows carb banks, stock air boxes, and the like go on without any excessive stretching or assocciated bad language required.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              That's such a brilliant idea!
              79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

I use it on just about everything to make installation easier..rubber seals, grommets etc....
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                X