Chatter, my bike is talking to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatter, my bike is talking to me

So I just adjusted my valve clearnance on my 79 XS1100. To be fair it was chattering slightly but not too bad. The clearances on the valves were a little tight but nothing too crazy. So I loosened up the clearance on the ones too tight and got them into specification range and I tightened the ones looser than specs and so technically it should be better because they are all in spec rather than sounding better but being out of spec. It's now a bit more chattery. I have to imagine it's better to be loud and in spec than quite and not. Any thoughts?
    79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Yes, a correctly adjusted valve train is noisy.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I just adjusted mine on my SG (79 engine) to the max clearances and it's not bad when it's cold and the oil is still thick but after it get's to running temp.

Nature of the beast.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Awesome. I don't mind the chatter as long as it means my bike is gonna run fine and be safe. Don't want a valve busting through because of a tight clearnance.
        79 XS 1100 midnight special frame with an 81 XS 1100 engine or as I like to call it "Mad Max".

Comment

Not much chance of that but it will affect the running. A couple of my intakes were down to .002 in. clearance.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
          X