Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intake Manifolds: Just how important are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Manifolds: Just how important are they?

On my XS1100SF.
    The intake manifolds are shot to ****.
    Even smells like it after a long ride.
    I'm going to replace them.

I wanted thoughts on YAMAHA vs. AFTERMARKET
    AFTERMARKET ones are 100 less.

What kind of performance am I not getting by having the holiest of holies holding my carbs on?

Commence knowledge dropping gents.

p.s. I also have a question about the brakepads...
    see that thread too.
    I am a rhinoceros and my skin is three feet thick.
    //////////////WARSENAULT/////////////

My personal opinion? - No difference. The seal is more important than the brand. Buy the ones that come with the gaskets for best results

Randy

Comment

Manifolds

Hello,
      The intake manifolds that came stock on your bike may look like doo-doo and yet, work just fine...
      The intakes are actually 'rubber covered' they have a metal inner liner, and a 'rubber' coating.
      To check for air leaks, start the bike and while idling direct a small spray of carb cleaner (Wal-Mart .78 cents) towards each intake (1 at a time) using the small spray tube provided with the can of carb cleaner, if there is a leak...the motor will 'rev-up' which is indicative of an air leak.
      DO NOT jump to conclusions...FIRST tighten the ALL the clamps IE: carb to manifold/carb to air box- DON'T forget the intake to cylinder head torque. Then re-check (same proceedure) the manifolds.
      I have seen many sets that looked 'TERRIBLE' yet leaked NO air
      Some have even used RTV (black) silicone to 'repair' small leaks it may look ugly...but it may keep you up, one more season.
      You simply 'spread' a 'thin' layer all around the intake...and VOILA

There are several sets available...by different manafacturers...so Try and not pay more than $80.00 for the set...they're on ebay for that price...
      But seriously...if you 'smell' something 'hot' after riding your bike...my "last guess" would be intake rubbers...if the intake side of the engine is getting that hot...the cam plugs would have melted away by then...just a 'guess'
      But I'd be lookin' into the cause of that smell
      Good Luck...and keep postin'

"150 MPH sure is fun, I hope there ain't no Police around"
      Arlo Guthrie cir-1977
      MO-N-STEVE
      '79 SF "MO's Missile"
      '79 SF "That Old Black Magic"
      '79 SF "the Tomato Can"
      '80 SG "The BEAST"
      '80 XS850-SG "STILETTO"
      '81 SH "The NEW KID"
      '76 CB 750 K5 "The Orphan"

Comment

If you could only see the gooey goodness that is my intake manifolds. Maybe I'll take a picture of it later tonight and post it for you all.
        Trust me they ARE the cause of the smell and they leak air like a sunnova-bee.

Comment

buickyouth, please post some pics. My intakes are ugly and dry, but not leaking....yet.
          '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

My Intakes were cracked to high heaven. Looked like crap. I took a CAN OF 3m Liquid tape and painted them. They look great no leaks.
            79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
            80 XS650 Special
            85 KAW 454 LTD
            Dirty Dan

Comment

I think that the gentleman that I bought the bike from said that the sealant he didn't realize that the heat grade wasn't high enough. But I'll take pictures tonight and let y'all know what I'm doing.

ARSENAULT out

Comment

Originally posted by DEmily
                My Intakes were cracked to high heaven. Looked like crap. I took a CAN OF 3m Liquid tape and painted them. They look great no leaks.
                This stuff sounds interesting. Where did you get it? I've used Yamabond 5 to spruce up cracked intake boots but the results were only fair.

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

The 3M liquid tape can be found at just about any hardware store. I had it on hand from a repair I had to do to a cable TV line I tore up with a tiller. My Neigbor works for the local Gas service company and he told me about the stuff. He also suggested I try it on these boots. Just do 4 or 5 thin coats letting in set between coats. It remains flexable but smooths out real nice.
                  79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                  80 XS650 Special
                  85 KAW 454 LTD
                  Dirty Dan

Comment

Similar product called Plasti-Dip comes in a deep can, about a pint's worth. I masked the ends and nipples and dipped my boots. One coat covered massive cracking. Available at Lowe's Hardware, probably others.

randy

Comment

I have seen that stuff. I thought about using it. I have another pair of boots, I might give it a try.
                      79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
                      80 XS650 Special
                      85 KAW 454 LTD
                      Dirty Dan

Comment

I have a can of that but I never considered it for carb boots. I bought it to experiment with for coating electrical parts for my business. It was a complete failure in that reguard. Also unless it's a different brand than I got, I highly doubt it's fuel resistant.

I have a few carb boots that are near trash, I'll try it on one of them one of these days and post pictures of the results.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X