oil pressure switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure switch

On my 1980 XS1100 my oil pressure switch started leaking out around the threaded wire connector. The only replacement I have found is used on ebay.
    is there any other switch that will work that anyone knows about? Or where I can get a replacement. Thanks !!
    80 SG

That switch is nothing special, take it down to the auto parts house and match it up.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      That switch is nothing special, take it down to the auto parts house and match it up.
      Greg,
      That's great info, but I'm an ignorant putz. What am I matching? At what pressure does it make contact (or is it disconnect) and what else do I need to know? I know, to you it's simple, but you do it for a living. I would never have thought to go look at the auto parts store. I live in a box.

Mine is very slow to turn the light on.
      Marty (in Mississippi)
      XS1100SG
      XS650SK
      XS650SH
      XS650G
      XS6502F
      XS650E

Comment

It's just a ground switch Marty. It grounds the oil light circuit when the pressure is too low. I can't tell you what pressure but oil pressure is oil pressure. I would presume to say that if it drops below 5 - 10 PSI it will ground and kick the light.

The threads are just pipe threads and the only thing that may be difficult to match is the wire connection. It may have to be changed to a female spade end on the bike.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Oil Pressure Switch

New and used on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...02-00&_sacat=0

NWVCP.com has 2 new in stock.

Part number is 341-82504-02-00.

Boats.net is showing some, but they are $115?

Mike
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            The threads are just pipe threads and the only thing that may be difficult to match is the wire connection. It may have to be changed to a female spade end on the bike.
            When I was looking at putting an oil temp sensor on my bike to work with my new gauge cluster, I was looking at using the fitting for the pressure sender. I think it was Crazy STeve that alerted me to the different pipe thread standards used for metric bikes vs. american or US standard pipe thread sizes, that there is a bit of a difference in the shape of the threads as well as the count/spacing.

SO...aside from matching up the diameter size, I would think we would also want an automotive one that was designed for Japanese/ Asian made machines(with Japanese pipe thread sizing) to help reduce the chance for leaking since it will be under up to 80+ PSI!

T.C.

PS, I ended up drilling/tapping a new hole in my SOFA for the sender unit, but kept the OEM pressure sender as well, so I had both the light and the gauge!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

If you have an engine running 80psi oil pressure you'll be washing out bearings and exploding oil filters if you have a spin on. BTDT

I agree on the threads though, however most American (so to speak) vehicles run a metric thread on everything now.
              Last edited by BA80; 08-07-2014, 07:45 PM.
              Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                it was Crazy STeve that alerted me to the different pipe thread standards used for metric bikes vs. american or US standard pipe thread sizes, that there is a bit of a difference in the shape of the threads as well as the count/spacing.
                Quote from CS...

Pay attention on the oil sender thread. There's two 'common' 1/8" pipe threads, the US version which is 27 threads per inch, and the 'BSP' (British Standard Pipe) which is 28 threads per inch. The latter can be common on Japanese vehicles for some reason (hey, they do drive on the wrong side.. ) and almost impossible to spot by eye. If you even suspect that, check with a thread pitch gauge. One will 'fit' in the other hole, but leaks are common and it tends to trash the threads. DAMHIKIJK....
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Well,

I wasn't too far off.....the manual states the relief valve pressure for the oil pump is ~71 psi +/- ~7, so up to 78 psi....close to the 80 I thought I remembered someone reporting that had an actual pressure gauge on their bike....must have been closer to ~60 psi! Still a decent amount of pressure which warrants the right pipe thread match to prevent leaks...thanks Phil for the quote.

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

i replaced the one on my bike with one from honda

fits the cx500/gl650/cb750/gl1100

and the yamaha lol
                    79 SF

Comment

I used a standard 1/8" brass plumbing nipple and Tee from a hardware store when I split mine fir an oil pressure gauge. No leaks, everything threaded in easy.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

oil pressure switch/wire/rubber

good morning, I have at least twenty used ones in my parts pile, if you need one send me a pm, thanx andreas

Comment

Working...
                        X