1980 xs1100 mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 xs1100 mixture screw

im looking for 2 carb bodies now. went threw to adjust mixture screws to tune my bike and 2 screws where broke off in the recessed hole. if anyone has some extra bodies let me know. thanks
    80 LH

Are the bodies ruined

Originally posted by Biggyfaction View Post
    im looking for 2 carb bodies now. went threw to adjust mixture screws to tune my bike and 2 screws where broke off in the recessed hole. if anyone has some extra bodies let me know. thanks
    Did you do something other then just break the tips off or has more damage been done? If just the tips then read this repair tip... they may be repairable and all you need is new mixture screws.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Biggyfaction View Post
      Hey Biggie,

Are you SURE the screws are broken off?! The 81's had brass caps put over/in the pilot jet screw towers to prevent tampering after delivery by factory. They actually require a little drilling and use of a sheet metal screw to get them out, and then you have access to the screws beneath them.

Now, the slot may be shredded/stripped, but they are fairly strong steel, not brass, so would be difficult to do that to them.

Just saying because I've never heard of the later carbs pilot screw heads getting broken off. The TIPS of the screws on the early model 78-79 carbs, yes, but not the heads!?

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey Biggie,

Are you SURE the screws are broken off?! The 81's had brass caps put over/in the pilot jet screw towers to prevent tampering after delivery by factory. They actually require a little drilling and use of a sheet metal screw to get them out, and then you have access to the screws beneath them.

Now, the slot may be shredded/stripped, but they are fairly strong steel, not brass, so would be difficult to do that to them.

Just saying because I've never heard of the later carbs pilot screw heads getting broken off. The TIPS of the screws on the early model 78-79 carbs, yes, but not the heads!?

T.C.
        Correction T.C. The later carbs pilot screws ARE brass. They just have the shouldered stop seat that keeps them from seating on the short point.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

well with some more careful drilling and a sharpened pin. i got the screws out. i have to rethread the bodies but that shouldnt be that bad
          80 LH

Comment

Working...
          X