Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocating rear turn signals

Hi, everybody.

I've mounted a luggage rack to my 79F and I need to relocate the mounting of the rear turn signals. Has anyone had success with this and how?

Thanks in advance,

Randy

turn sig relocate

I've used front turn sigs on back before.The kind that mount on handle bars(simalar to harley's uk) mounted to the luggage rack hanging down.Then you could also make a brk that attaches behind your lic plate and has a tab sticking past on each side that is bent towards the back of bike ,with a hole on each side to mount each turn sig to (i like this one likes factory when done) hope this helps for some suggestions.
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

That's an idea, Chevy. IIRC, didn't the Euro models come with the signals mounted on the tail light assembly?

Randy

Comment

reloc

i hope this pic works new hosting site i'm trying
        [IMG][/IMG]
        1982 XJ 1100

Comment

My bike came with the long chrome bar that attaches to the license frame. The wiring ran inside the tube. I recently changed the configuration by drilling holes in the tail light bracket and mounted the lights to it. Still very clean looking and all the wires are hidden. Email me if you'd like pics.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

The other thing you can do is use flat stock aluminum. Drill a hole to mount the aluminum to the old location where the tail light stocks were (use big washers) and drill a hole in the other end of the aluminum to mount the stocks. Like this:

PS, you will find extra pig tail wires with bullet connectors in the taillight housing if you decide to go with the bar that mounts to the license plate bolts (see post by Pat)

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
            My bike came with the long chrome bar that attaches to the license frame. The wiring ran inside the tube. I recently changed the configuration by drilling holes in the tail light bracket and mounted the lights to it. Still very clean looking and all the wires are hidden. Email me if you'd like pics.
            Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well, the "picture" only looks right with you look at it with a quote. Oh well.

[i]

[/B]
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Mine has a tube mounted to the license plate bracket, as Pat described.
                '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

holly cow

can you say 27foot wing span.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

lil turn sigs

[IMG][/IMG]

theese is tiny
                    1982 XJ 1100

Comment

Yeah, talk about wingspan! The previous owner had bags on it, but I'm looking to go back to original placement on the rear turnsignals since I have no plans for bags.
                      '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

They look wide without bags but they are really good when the bags are mounted.

Originally posted by Craig
                        Yeah, talk about wingspan! The previous owner had bags on it, but I'm looking to go back to original placement on the rear turnsignals since I have no plans for bags.
                        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Since I can't link to images on my Yahoo can I Email a pic of my current set-up to a moderator to be posted? My signals are by the license but tucked in more, looks good with or without the bags.
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Another Way

Hi Randy, on my 78 xs11e I ground away a flat on the stem on the mount side and installed down low on my tail light housing. I think it looks good never had any complaints. With this setup you can either run bags or not. I run soft side only when I'm traveling.
                            Go to http://www.snapfish.com/photolibrary/t_=9343033 and put in my email delzell@iname.com then d9272, then look at picture named rear 1. I'll take a closeup if you want it to shoe what was done a little clearer. The wires are already there behind the license plate.
                            Last edited by pathfinder; 05-04-2004, 12:22 AM.
                            There's always a way, figure it out.
                            78XS11E

Comment

No, don't look at pathfinder's bike photos! It's shiny!!

Mine are similar to pathfinders, mounted on the license plate.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                              Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X