85 mph speedo on a '79?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 85 mph speedo on a '79?

My recently acquired '79 F has a rectangular gauge cluster with an 85 mph speedo. In addition, the speedometer cable is missing. I'm guessing that simply replacing the cable won't be enough, right? What should I do to get the speedo to read accurately? (Assuming that it won't when I get a cable for it!)

Thanks!
    '79 XS11F Standard

Craig, the speedo has been changed. The correct speedo for a 79F reads 160MPH. It's an easy swap to put the correct one on. Either from a 78E or 79F. Same unit.

Randy

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looks like the hunt is on!
      '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

I believe the speedo should read correctly, you just won't be able to go as fast
        buffalo
        80 XS1100SG

Comment

I believe the speedo should read correctly, you just won't be able to go as fast
          Ha! Even with the slower speedo, it'll still be fast enough to get in trouble!
          '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

I thought they changed to 85 in 79 not 80, although I've been mistaken on many occasion I have never been wrong. But that's just my opinion.
            There's always a way, figure it out.
            78XS11E

Comment

I've been mistaken on many occasion
              Your are mistaken on this one they changed to a 85 in 1980.
              Gary
              79sf
              78e

Comment

oh well

mistaken again
                There's always a way, figure it out.
                78XS11E

Comment

The 80 MPH speedo was the brainchild of Joan Claybrook the head of the NHTSA under Jimma Carter. I'm glad both of them are inconsequential these days. She was the same person that wanted bikes to have a full roll cage and have rear wheel steering. Even sadder is that she spent $250k trying to make it work.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Geez,

I didn't think anyone remembered that but me! As I recall, the rear-steer bike could not be ridden, even by King Kenny. It was a complete folly. Thanks for the memory jog.

Randy

Comment

Originally posted by randy
                      Geez,

I didn't think anyone remembered that but me! As I recall, the rear-steer bike could not be ridden, even by King Kenny. It was a complete folly. Thanks for the memory jog.

Randy
                      Ken Kong wouldn't have even attempted to ride that POS.

Even with training wheels (actually long spring loaded struts with wheels on the end) that POS wouldn't say up with the slightest steering correction.

I would have loved to parted it out though, it had the sweetest Kimtab magnesium wheels, plasma coated aluminum disk brake rotors, Brembo calipers and all topped with K81 Dunlop tires. This stuff would have looked great on my old RD350 (sigh.)

The Rokon engine didn't do to much for me but it might have made a nice rototiller. ;o)

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                      X