Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo and tachometer foamy dampers

Hey Folks

This has probably been a regular topic over the last decade. I read somewhere that TC did a tutorial for it........ The foamy rubber damper gasket things that the tachometer and speedo sit in in their tin boxes. Mine are perished and a bit of a mess. According to cmsnl.com, they cost about $15 each but.....Unobtanium!

Could someone please point me to TC's thread about making dampers? That's if he actually did one?

Or does anyone else have any ideas?
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

You can still

purchase these. http://www.mrcycles.com/oemparts/a/y...ter-tachometer

Not cheap by any means but they are available. I just bought a set of two for mine.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Damn... They're the round ones and my gauges are the square ones. The same site doesn't have those available.....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

my bad

I forgot you were working with a standard. I will keep looking and post if I see anything.
        81 LH
        02 FXSTB Nighttrain
        Jim

Comment

James,

I made replacement dampers from vacuum tubing CAREFULLY slit along one side (carefully in that you don't want the slit migrating around the axis). It goes right over the edge of the metal enclosure and the bottom of the gauge rests on it just fine. In the corners use the exacto knife to skillfully trim some of the inside corner to keep a tight radius.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I've used weatherstriping from the Home Depot, cut a part of it off lengthwise and it makes a suitable gasket, pretty simple. Paint it with black paint after installed and it's good to go.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

thinking out loud

I was just wondering if or why the round ones couldn't be modified to fit the square gauges. You might have to buy three of them and do a little cutting and cementing with some contact cement but I don't see why that wouldn't do the job. a little more pricey I suppose but I think the look would still be the same. JAT.
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                I was just wondering if or why the round ones couldn't be modified to fit the square gauges. You might have to buy three of them and do a little cutting and cementing with some contact cement but I don't see why that wouldn't do the job. a little more pricey I suppose but I think the look would still be the same. JAT.
                You may have to sacrifice five or six of them.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                  Hey Folks

This has probably been a regular topic over the last decade. I read somewhere that TC did a tutorial for it........ The foamy rubber damper gasket things that the tachometer and speedo sit in in their tin boxes. Mine are perished and a bit of a mess. According to cmsnl.com, they cost about $15 each but.....Unobtanium!

Could someone please point me to TC's thread about making dampers? That's if he actually did one?

Or does anyone else have any ideas?
                  James,

You cut me to the quick in doubting me!

Here's the thread link to the post #11 with the images and info:

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...9&postcount=11

Regrettably I never made it into a formal tech tip, although I had done that for the Gauge repair portion!

Again, my gauge was the ROUND special one, but this stuff should turn the corner just fine!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

well let me try again

Posted update to wrong ancient thread ... source for stripping used by TC

http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-P.../dp/B000I1QHA8
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X