electrical drag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical drag

hey, wondering if anyone knows how to upgrade charging system on xs1100g?
    runs good for few days and then starts giving problems startin, etc. thanks
    1980 xs1100g

What I did was to eliminate the alt plug in back of the fuse panel and hard wire 3 new 14 gauge wires up to the reg/rec, and I now have 14+ volts at 3K rpm, voltage never should go over 14.5 in any case. The reg/rec I was using at first was only producing 13V with this setup, but after trying a couple different ones (thanks Jonathan) I found one that kicks out 14.5V, YMMV
    Last edited by bikerphil; 07-25-2014, 04:35 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by dschmitta View Post
      hey, wondering if anyone knows how to upgrade charging system on xs1100g?
      runs good for few days and then starts giving problems startin, etc. thanks
      Charging system needs no upgrade............unplug, clean and dielectic grease ALL plug-in connection......pay particular attention to the ones behind fuse panel. If you haven't already, change out the buss fuse panel for a spade terminal fuse panel. Also, clean ignition switch internally and definitely remove kill switch assembly, take apart and soak pieces including the switch itself in EvaporRust, clean and dry, a dab of dielectic grease on contacts and re-assemble.
      Also remove left side ignition cover and pull on pick-up coil wires every inch looking for a stretching insulation which reveals a broken wire internally.
      Report back, as that oughta' keep you busy for a bit with a volt/ohm meter.

Also, remove clean and seal ALL grounding points with a shot of clear batt. term. spray AFTER re-connecting.
      Last edited by motoman; 07-25-2014, 04:41 PM.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

electral drag

sounds like an update or two and some good old TLC. it's such a good solid bike sometimes i forget everything on it has got some years, use and weather behind it. thanks for info, much appreciated
        1980 xs1100g

Comment

Blade fuse panel

They still sell the old glass type fuse boxes on eBay although I can't think why anyone would actually want to fit one! The blade fuses are the way to go....

XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
            They still sell the old glass type fuse boxes on eBay although I can't think why anyone would actually want to fit one! The blade fuses are the way to go....
            For me, I use a new glass fuse holder from Radio Shack/Littelfuse with the stock fuse box.

Fuse Block Replacement

With the low profile fuse box and glass fuses I can stash a spare TCI under the right-hand side cover, the ATO fuse block and fuses are too tall and a TCI won't fit.

-- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Have you had a bad experience with a TCI failing? I've often wondered about carrying a spare, although I've never actually done so with any bike that has one... I'm not a fan of the glass fuses mainly because they are more difficult to get hold of than the blade type.

Wouldn't a spare TCI fit under the rear seat cowl? Or does your model not have one?
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Have you had a bad experience with a TCI failing? I've often wondered about carrying a spare, although I've never actually done so with any bike that has one... I'm not a fan of the glass fuses mainly because they are more difficult to get hold of than the blade type.
                Meh, there's nothing wrong with glass fuses. As a matter of fact they have a greater temperature and chemical resistance by several orders of magnitude than any cheap, modern, plastic fuse. I've had vehicles and still have some equipment made in the '50s and '60s with their original glass fuses from the factory. I think some of the problems of late may have been caused by shifting manufacturing to places that don't actually know what a fuse is or why they're making them.

Wouldn't a spare TCI fit under the rear seat cowl? Or does your model not have one?
                No, there's no seat cowl on a US '80G.

Once upon a time, the voltage regulator failed high and put out over 18V for a very long time before I caught it. That cooked a lot of stuff, including the new battery so I suspected that there might be a problem with the TCI and I bought a spare.

And of course the spare TCI has to go under the right-hand side cover because the spare voltage regulator/rectifier is already bolted under the rear of the seat pan just above the fender.

-- Scott
                _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                  Meh, there's nothing wrong with glass fuses. As a matter of fact they have a greater temperature and chemical resistance by several orders of magnitude than any cheap, modern, plastic fuse. I've had vehicles and still have some equipment made in the '50s and '60s with their original glass fuses from the factory. I think some of the problems of late may have been caused by shifting manufacturing to places that don't actually know what a fuse is or why they're making them.

No, there's no seat cowl on a US '80G.

Once upon a time, the voltage regulator failed high and put out over 18V for a very long time before I caught it. That cooked a lot of stuff, including the new battery so I suspected that there might be a problem with the TCI and I bought a spare.

And of course the spare TCI has to go under the right-hand side cover because the spare voltage regulator/rectifier is already bolted under the rear of the seat pan just above the fender.

So, here do you put the spare crankshaft and pistons?

Comment

So, here do you put the spare crankshaft and pistons?
                    I usually stash the major running spares somewhere inconspicuous inside the engine case itself, then bolt the case together and seal 'em in with Yamabond so they can't fall out and get lost out on the road. Unfortunately I baked my last good spares so I had to order some more from the parts freezer up in The Great White North.

-- Scott
                    _____

Comment

I have the ideal solution for you..... Tow a trailer with a complete spares bike on it!

Thinking about it, through the mists of time, I once went down the Loire Valley in France and did take a spare TCI with me. Of course, I didn't need it...merely carrying it was a magic talisman. I did, however, get a puncture on the rear tyre, on one of the many French 'jour feries'...holidays for no apparent reason. This necessitated waiting until the next day with my rear wheel off. The Spare TCI was of no help whatsoever!
                      Last edited by James England; 07-29-2014, 09:07 AM.

Comment

James,

Towing a complete spare bike is a bit much even for me but you can carry a spare tire as a talisman to ward off most of the evil air flattening spirits!

DSC00800_rec by Scott_Ci, on Flickr

If you want to carry spare front and rear tires, wear them around your middle like a Hula Hoop. It'll supplement your riding gear if you forget to stay on top of your motorcycle and you can get some exercise at fuel stops. Put some pinto beans in pill bottles inside the tires so you can get something like the legendary "Shoop! Shoop!" sound out of them.

-- Scott
                        _____

Comment

Everyone thinks I carry 2 spares around my middle but its really just beer.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

John
                            I know what you mean, John! I just looked again at some of the Canon City rally pictures and I'm going to need a lot more than a few Hula Hoop sessions myself!

-- Scott
                            _____

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post

John
                              Hi John,

Phil
                              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
                              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
                              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Working...
                              X