No announcement yet.

xs11 79 carbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you bought new primary jets out of the box at a Yamaha dealer, they're the wrong ones. Find one of the original ones and then compare it to the new one. Hold them side by side and look at the end that goes into the carb. The difference will be more than obvious.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Greezer,

Yes, I did exactly what you suggested and it is obvious. The good things is I put the old ones back in and the BIGDOG is running good!
      79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
      80 XS650 Special
      85 KAW 454 LTD
      Dirty Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DEmily
        Greezer,

Yes, I did exactly what you suggested and it is obvious. The good things is I put the old ones back in and the BIGDOG is running good!
        You're lucky I only bought one and I was going nutz until I noticed. Then I had to sweep out the garage and look through all the sweepings to find the one I lost that caused the spiral of insanity. ;o)

Geezer

Comment

Well, I lost my old pilots too Greezer. I had another set of 79 Carbs I pulled the pilot jets from.

The pilot screws I guess got broke off in this set and they were drilled out very poorly. Way off center and not even perfectly round. I had planned on attempting a repair on them using some magna steel dough. Hardens like steel, resistant to gas and 2000 lbs of pressure. Plug the hole with the magna steel and then about half way through the drying time screw in a well oiled pilot screw to recreate the hole, while it's still soft enought to allow it. Attempted it on one already and the new hole looks perfect. you really cant tell it is even there. I'll do some finishing with ultra fine paper and do some test to see if the stuff will stay put like they claim.

Anyway, a whole nother story
          79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
          80 XS650 Special
          85 KAW 454 LTD
          Dirty Dan

Comment

I'd just use them old carbs for parts. Odds are if you'll find another set of carbs that were stripped for parts and will have good carb bodies.

Somebody mentioned a place that has the old style jets, maybe they'll chime in again and let us know where that is.

Geezer

Comment

Working...
            X