Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger tank !

What larger tanks would fit the LH ?
    The light worked this time, came on at 70 mi., switched to res. and 6 mi. later puttered into a station and died, filled up with 92 E10
    70 mi and 6 mi. on res. ? ? ? Looked in the tank and just about 1/2" of fuel at the bottom. Took 3.3 gal. , I thought the special tank was 3.9 ?
    Sure like the looks of the 1100 Maxim tank but doubt it's any bigger and fitting ???
    Last edited by donebysunday; 07-20-2014, 08:58 AM.
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

I think TC has the Maxim tank on his bike, and yes, it's bigger.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
      I think TC has the Maxim tank on his bike, and yes, it's bigger.
      It fits with some modification but the upper part of the triple tree hits the tank and dimples it if the steering head get's turned too far.

Your getting lousy gas mileage Done. Even in town I get 80 - 90 miles out of a tank BEFORE I need to switch to reserve. The tank is 3.9, When I switch to reserve and fill up it usually takes 3.3 - 3.4 gallons.

Try running just plain ol' 87 unleaded regular. That engine is designed to run on regular anyway. When I run higher octane I notice a marked decrease in performance and fuel mileage.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        It fits with some modification but the upper part of the triple tree hits the tank and dimples it if the steering head get's turned too far.

Your getting lousy gas mileage Done. Even in town I get 80 - 90 miles out of a tank BEFORE I need to switch to reserve. The tank is 3.9, When I switch to reserve and fill up it usually takes 3.3 - 3.4 gallons.

Try running just plain ol' 87 unleaded regular. That engine is designed to run on regular anyway. When I run higher octane I notice a marked decrease in performance and fuel mileage.
        Thanks Greg ! I'll try the lower octane next.
        How many gal. is the XJ tank ?
        I found one with no cap or petcocks, availability of these parts ? Andreas
        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
        80 XS650 G Special II
        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

redo the carbs and brakes.

I agree that is lousy gas mileage. You should be getting at least 32 mpg. Something is definitely going on with either the carbs or your brakes maybe both. I would check the float settings, jets etc... Before I redid my brakes my mpg suffered. My mileage is around 35mpg right now depending on how hard I get on it on the hwy. Can't resist sometimes.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

All the input I can get is appreciated ! Cajun what fuel are you using ?
            76 XS650 C ROADSTER
            80 XS650 G Special II
            80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

I just looked up specs on the XJ tank and it shows 13L, converts to 3.43 gallons. Seems the XJ tank is smaller.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...1100_maxim.htm

A standard or Venturer tank will fit if you MUST torture your backside an extra hour between fill ups.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Some places up here still sell straight gas without ethanol. Ethanol is bad for old carbs and lowers mileage. There are apps for smartphones that list stations with 100% or look them up online.

If you run higher octane you may be able advance your timing for better power and fuel economy. Higher octane makes for a slower, more complete burn. Advancing timing makes the burn longer.

I would also recommend running semi synthetic 20-40 for wet clutch if you are using 50 weight oil.
                Mid and final drive would benefit from a full synthetic gl-5 90 or even an 80wt because synthetics are so much better /slicker than the stuff from the early eighties. Over at Ecomodder we found that oil viscosity makes a fairly large difference in fuel economy.

Check your plugs. They should be tan brown. If black you may be running too rich.

Also the 750 middle drive swap if you really are serious about fuel economy.

Oh, and keep your tire pressure up too.

Cheers.
                Living to EXcess.
                1978 XS1100E Canadian, Cartridge emulators, NOS heavy duty fork springs,
                Showa rear shocks, ACCT, Jardine 4-2 spaghetti pipes.
                1979 XS1100F Canadian, stock exhaust. Top end rebuild in progress.

Comment

Why not just run it on regular like was intended and not fool with anything?
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

hey done

I go back and forth on every other tank. One tank I run 87 the next tank 93. Sometimes I even use 89. My mileage does not vary much. I have also always added about 2 ounces of marvel mystery oil in every other tank. Been doing that for years on both bikes. Never hurt anything and I like the idea of keeping everything clean inside which this product is supposed to do. I haven't had the need to tear into the motor so I can not verify if that is actually occurring or not. However, I an not the only one on this site sold on the use of the stuff.
                    81 LH
                    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                    Jim

Comment

by the way

to clarify all of the gas we get around here is of the E10 variety and is another reason for the use of the marvel mystery oil. I have read that it is good for offsetting the alcohol in the fuel and the damage it can do. Of course when leaving or winterizing the bike I always drain the carbs.
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      Jim

Comment

Mmo

I use it now with good gas, I can attest to it's cleaning properties (won't go into that ATT). Going to run again this night and when I get close to 70 mi. on I'll fill with the non ethanol lower tane. Will report back ! BTW my plugs are white even with the poor MPG.
                        Last edited by donebysunday; 07-20-2014, 05:02 PM.
                        76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                        80 XS650 G Special II
                        80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

My XJ tank holds 5 gallons. I got 36 mpg on my first tank today (172 miles on 4.75 gallons) and 39 mpg on the second tank (155 miles on 3.9 gallons...hadn't switched to reserve yet). Running regular 87 octane E10. I have an 850 FD on it, 60 mph is about 3500 rpm. Pushing a Wind Jammer V down the road, too.
                          Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Comment

I thought it was more. I wonder why those specs say 13L.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Larger Tank

If I run E10 in my 1981H, I get 36-38 MPG. If I run E0, I get 42 MPG and as much as 46 if I am behind a Hogsley Ferguson. I can tell the difference in the way the bike runs/performs on E0 as I am leaving the gas station. I will admit that the E0 is a higher octane, but the bike (and I) like it. The H is bone stock other than a K&N air filter. On my 1979SF - which has a few mods (carbs are stock), I get 32 MPG with E10 and 35-36 with E0. Have not been behind any HFs with this one yet.

E0 is the only choice for what we should leave in the tank when the bikes sit for long periods. If you do let it sit with E0 (winter), you will find that you will not have to do anything at all to the carbs when it is ride time again. I have proven this with many applications including the XS11s, four wheelers, go carts, welders, generators, etc.

Is it just me?

Mike
                              Last edited by MPittma100; 07-20-2014, 06:19 PM.
                              1981 XS1100H Venturer
                              K&N Air Filter
                              ACCT
                              Custom Paint by Deitz
                              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                              Stebel Nautilus Horn
                              EBC Front Rotors
                              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment