seized 1980 1100 sxg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seized 1980 1100 sxg

Ok so ive read a lot of places that if I take trans fluid and fill the cylandars that I might be able to crank this bike. Problem is I have no battery and one plug has broken off in the engine. Also the 1980 only has an electric start. Is there something that I can use to crank the engine and is it worth it. I am already looking at a new exhaust, a few parts here and there and that doesnt even mention the problems that there could be with the carb and other stuff.

I dont have the mo9ney or interest in getting a big bore kit though I know that it would reserect this guy.

So please if you know leave me one and if its done Ill either be parting out the bike or looking for a dumped one with running engine. TY {by the way the name is a Dragon lance reference}

Seized

With no starter or kick starter you could put it 4th or 5th gear and rock it back and forth to see if it will break free. After it has broken loose you could pull the left side engine cover and turn the crank.
    Ken/Sooke
    78E Ratbyk
    82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Diesel fuel works for this as well. It will wick very nicely thru the space between the pistons and cylinder wall. Chances are good that you only have one cylinder that is actually siezed.

As for the broken spark plug, I can't help with that but I am sure someone will drop in with info on removing it.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

thanks

Awsome thanks for the reply i will try it as soon as i get a chance and let you now the results.

Comment

I broke one loose with a come along and a tree. Later 'Dog

Comment

If you can get the engine up to about 150 degrees before you try breaking it free, it'll be a hell of a lot easier. I haven't tried this on an XS11 but I've done it on an old CB750, an XS500 and butt load of old Honda singles and twins.

If you're having a hot day start with the cylinders full of ATF and let it sit in the sun for a few hours. Take the tank and carbs off and make sure there's no gas around. It's also handy to have a fire extinguisher. Then with the help of a friend or 2, use 2 or 3 propane torches to heat up the cylinders. Keep the heat on the cylinders but move it around. After about an hour of this and again with the help of friends, put it in 4th gear and rock it back and forth (make sure the spark plugs are out and non of you are wearing your best jeans.)

BTW never, never use a kickstarter for this, it can't handle the stress and something will snap. I've used a large strap wrench on the alternator rotor with good results.

Geezer
            Last edited by Geezer; 05-05-2004, 11:57 AM.
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
            X