The stable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The stable

What Yamaha would you choose to stable next to your 11 ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Another one.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Since we can't get the XJR here, I would opt for an FZ1. My neighbor had one that I rode a couple of times and it's very, very nice, very fast, and very comfortable too. Opt for the pre-2006, pre- fuel injection 1st gen models, they're easier to work on too.
      1980G Standard, Restored
      Kerker 4 - 1
      850 Rear End Mod
      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
      Automatic CCT
      1980GH Special, Restored
      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobia View Post
        Since we can't get the XJR here, I would opt for an FZ1. My neighbor had one that I rode a couple of times and it's very, very nice, very fast, and very comfortable too. Opt for the pre-2006, pre- fuel injection 1st gen models, they're easier to work on too.
        Take a look at the FJR
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Yamaha Bolt. 950cc

Lightweight. Belt drive. Fuel injection.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Greg,
            The FJR is a very nice bike and designed as a cruiser, too many new fangled electronics for my taste though. Hell, you can even get them with automatic transmissions. Not easy to work on.

John,
            I've heard a lot of good press about the Bolt, but it's still a V-Twin... uurrgghh...

The post 2006 FZ1's are fuel injected also. Again, more new fangled electronics that I find harder to work on, if at all except for simple things.
            1980G Standard, Restored
            Kerker 4 - 1
            850 Rear End Mod
            2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
            Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
            Automatic CCT
            1980GH Special, Restored
            Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
            '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
            Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I'm thinking another FJ1100 would look good between the XSs
              Keep the shiny side up
              1979 XS1100SF
              Mac 4-1
              Drilled airbox Uni filter
              Vmax bars
              Virago 1" shorter shocks
              30K miles
              http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...429_135845.jpg
              1981XS1100SH
              '80 G Forks and Triple Tree
              '80 G tank
              Mac Turnouts
              Virago 1" shorter rear shocks
              SH Headlight
              http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...psd6adaae1.jpg
              61 Wife
              83 Son
              86 Son
              89 Daughter

Comment

I agree completely Robert. I have no desire for a "ROBOT" bike.

Defeates the purpose in my opinion.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Being a mechanic, I'm surprised to hear you say that Greg. If you did not embrace EFI, and OBD I&II, you'd be left behind to the high school/college kids learning engine dialysis via scan tools, etc. I see no harm in bikes getting better with more electronics, as long as they're reliable.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Possibly Ian. But, I am a believer in "keep it simple stupid".

Try doing electronic or computer diag on the side of the road.

Embrace that.......
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Would love to have

one of the new maxims. What a machine. I would like to have one to try before buying though.
                      2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                      81 LH
                      02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                      22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                      Jim

Comment

I just took one of these for a ride last week. It's probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
                        Marty (in Mississippi)
                        XS1100SG
                        XS650SK
                        XS650SH
                        XS650G
                        XS6502F
                        XS650E

Comment

correction to my post

I meant to say Vmax not maxim.
                          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
                          81 LH
                          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
                          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
                          Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I just took one of these for a ride last week. It's probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
                            Marty is that the Super Tenere? I might need one for an around the world trip.

John
                            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                              Marty is that the Super Tenere? I might need one for an around the world trip.

John
                              That is a 2013 Super Tenere. I actually had to reach down for the pegs! The fairing wasn't impressive and the Tenere lacks a switch to turn off the ABS. It sure is comfortable! The engine is happy to pull anywhere in the RPM range, but 3k to 4k is its happy place.

There's a Moto Guzzi dealer in town that rents bikes. I might have to give the Stelvio a serious tryout.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X