Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to change front brake pads on a 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change front brake pads on a 1979 Yamaha XS 1100 Special?

Hey folks, I'm in the middle of trying to change my brake front pads on my 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special motorcycle. I changed the rear ones with no problems, but for the life of me, how do I remove the dual front calipers on this bike, to get to the front pads?

I removed the 12MM nut that connects the top caliper to the front fork, I see a rotor pin with a spring clip that attaches the the bottom of the caliper, must I remove that pin first?

If so, how?

I did a google search and found nothing.

Thanks for your help.

d-1
    79 SF

You need to unthread the bolt that the nut was on. Pay attention to the order of parts. You don't really need to remove the calipers to change out the pads. Just remove the pins and let it drop. There is a small spring keeper on the pin that holds the pads. You need to squeeze that, and remove the pin. Make sure that thos bolts that hold the caliper on are straight. There is a write up somewhere on here describing the Special front pad replacement. Follow thos, and it shouldn't be a problem. If you have not taken the calipers apart, and cleaned them out, it would be a good time to do so.
    1980 XS1100LG Midnight
    1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
    A quick death and an easy one.
    A pretty girl and an honest one.
    A cold beer and another one!

Comment

figured out there's a white cap under caliper to unscrew a long 13mm bolt the screws up underneath to front forks.

d-1
      79 SF

Comment

Also note that on the 1980 model, and it may be the same on the 79 that the pads on the left and right are different. The pads are tapered. The tapers are opposite on each side of the bike. If you do a search there are postings with pictures of how the tapers are supposed to go.
        80 SG

Comment

You are right, '79 Special pads are tapered too, all specials are that way. Its interesting that the whole caliper and pads drop out with the removal of that one bolt. As mentioned, check the caliper bolt isnt bent, you can take it out and roll it on a flat surface to check.

1979 SF Front caliper removal
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ight=bent+bolt

Assembling Special front and LH/XJ rear calipers
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37207
          Last edited by WMarshy; 07-16-2014, 10:21 AM.
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Pay attention

To the brake pads on each side as you remove them. There is definitely a difference fro the left to right caliper. Getting them on the wrong side can cause expletives to come out of our mouth. Don't ask me how I know that.
            2 - 80 LGs bought one new
            81 LH
            02 FXSTB Nighttrain
            22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
            Jim

Comment

Hi all, Need some advice please, I have a 79 sf I have the brake caliper off to rebuild been
              standing for a long time. I can't remove one of the brake pads retaining pins
              I have soaked it in paraffin all night and applied heat with a blow torch while hitting the end of the pin with a punch and copper hammer it won't budge!

Comment

Maybe a machine shop could drill out the pin. Probably easiest solution is to get another caliper.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Heat it with a MAP gas torch, then put an ice cube on the pin. After about 30 seconds try punching the pin out. The other way is mix ATF(automatic transmission fluid) and acetone 50/50 and apply that to the pin/caliper. Let it set overnight and try to remove pin.
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X