Well, all in all a good day for my XS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, all in all a good day for my XS

Shouldn't talk too soon, but appear to have fixed my random starting problem by installing my backup starter. Instead of the "click" I would get 2 out of 3 times, it now appears to start every time. Second thing I fixed was the annoying buzz from the tach mount, which over the years, the rubber has shrunk, leaving it loose in the chrome case. Lastly, I mounted my clear glass healight with the 55/100 bulb in it, and it looks great! I am very pleased with the XS Gods today.

Now I have to find an aftermarket front MC becasue the reservoir in mine has about had it. Too bad, because everything else works great on it.

Oh YEAH, FOUND my TopCat fuse box too, it was in my big container marked XS PARTS. What a dope.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
    Shouldn't talk too soon, but appear to have fixed my random starting problem by installing my backup starter. Instead of the "click" I would get 2 out of 3 times, it now appears to start every time. Second thing I fixed was the annoying buzz from the tach mount, which over the years, the rubber has shrunk, leaving it loose in the chrome case. Lastly, I mounted my clear glass healight with the 55/100 bulb in it, and it looks great! I am very pleased with the XS Gods today.

Now I have to find an aftermarket front MC becasue the reservoir in mine has about had it. Too bad, because everything else works great on it.

Oh YEAH, FOUND my TopCat fuse box too, it was in my big container marked XS PARTS. What a dope.
    Sounds productive then. Why not strip your old starter and clean it etc? I did a picture tutorial about it recently.
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
      Sounds productive then. Why not strip your old starter and clean it etc? I did a picture tutorial about it recently.
      Lay it on me James! Are parts and pieces available for new brushes etc?
      Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

Mc

Quote:

Now I have to find an aftermarket front MC because the reservoir in mine has about had it. Too bad, because everything else works great on it.

You could contact Andreas Weiss here on the forum or try eBay for a used replacement master cylinder. Then purchase a rebuild kit. This way you remain original.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...inder&_sacat=0

Mike
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I actually have a rebuild kit already I bought a few years ago, but the reservoir is flaking so bad, I think it's on borrowed time. I will check with Andreas to see if he has a better reservoir. Too bad they are NLA.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
            I actually have a rebuild kit already I bought a few years ago, but the reservoir is flaking so bad, I think it's on borrowed time. I will check with Andreas to see if he has a better reservoir. Too bad they are NLA.
            Flaking isn't a cause of terminal illness with the reservoirs. You're talking about the outside of it, yes? If the inner cylinder is in undamaged, uncorroded condition then it's worth saving. Here's mine, which was really flakey and manky....

The countersunk screws on the lid are stainless replacements. The decal is a new replica, readily available and not expensive.....
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Quit teasing

James, you keep teasing us with these great pics etc, but don't give us the details! How did you restore the reservoir to look like this? Mine is all flaky and brown etc. you can't even see inside it. How about a step by step?

Last edited by Courtney; 07-05-2014, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Over time the UV rays have damaged the outer layer of the reservoir. Use some sandpaper and just sand off the degraded material on the outside. Coat it with some good 2 part clear coat and it should last some time again.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X