Raptor 660r master cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptor 660r master cylinder

I've read that a few members here have used the front master cylinder from a raptor 660r successfully.

So I went ahead and installed one on my xs11, it seems that it just can't move enough fluid to fully actuate the front calipers, they only move a few mm out even when pumping the brake lever with the calipers off.

Could this be because the stock xs11 front master cylinder is 11/16 vs the raptors 1/2? I thought maybe the master cylinder needed a rebuild, but even after rebuilding the raptor master cylinder I get the same results.

Kinda sucks because I needed the lower profile master cylinder due to clearance issues.

Wonder If I'm doing something wrong here?
    1980 xs1100sg "some kind of cafe/tracker hybrid thingamajig" wip.

Originally posted by Rich*11sg View Post
    it seems that it just can't move enough fluid to fully actuate the front calipers, they only move a few mm out even when pumping the brake lever with the calipers off.

Could this be because the stock xs11 front master cylinder is 11/16 vs the raptors 1/2?
    In a word..........yes

Way too small.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The 1/2 " piston is too small to move fluid for the Special's 2 calipers. You will need a MC with a piston size preferably of 16MM (5/8") if you have SS lines. If you have the rubber lines, then an 11/16" would be fine.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

5/8 or 16mm would be a little small too Phil. 11/16 is roughly equivalent to 17mm.

The smaller the bore of the MC the longer the throw you'll have in the handle.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I'm running a modern 16mm MC with SS lines, it has a much more linear feel than the stock unit. Only need to use 2 fingers to stop. A little more travel than the 11/16" but doesn't come even close to bottoming out on the bar, even with emergency stopping. MC technology has also improved isince 1980.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

Comment

It really doesn't matter how much tech has changed, fluid dynamics remain the same.

You are absolutely correct though, the SS lines will make a huge difference due to less expansion and the slightly smaller bore in the MC will decrease braking effort.
            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Hey Rich, you probably could have got away with the 1/2" MC if you had a Standard. The Specials have huge caliper pistons (42.8MM) vs. the Standard's 38MM. I run a 14MM on my Standard which is not much larger than the Raptor 1/2". Just my 2¢.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                The Specials have huge caliper pistons (42.8MM) vs. the Standard's 38MM.
                Yeah, that's right. Forgot about that, but it makes a big difference doesn't it?

Never had a Standard I had to rebuild calipers on.
                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, it sure does. A 11/16" master on a Standard with SS lines totally sucks JMHO. All the stopping power is done within maybe 1MM of lever travel. The Special is not so bad due to those huge caliper pistons. At any rate, the Special will never stop as well as the Standard, has a lot to do with those goofy brake pads.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

Yeah, my SF front brakes SUCKED. The same stock setup on my SG works great though.

Go figure.
                    Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Yep, my SF brakes sucked with SS lines and stock MC. I dropped $100+ on a Brembo coffin type 16MM MC and it stops great now. I went the cheapo route with my Standard and bought a new 14mm MC for $30, stops awesome now. Those MikesXS replacement MC's can be found for half the price on Ebay if you know what to look for.
                      2H7 (79)
                      3H3

Comment

Would you be willing to post what MC you bought Phil?
                        1979 XS1100F
                        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

This one for the Standard, 14MM, left hand thread mirror mount, brake light switch identical to the OEM XS11...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replace-YAMA...3D271456381801

Edit: The picture in this one shows a different type brake light switch, I don't know why. Before I bought mine, I asked the seller some questions such as: What is the piston size, does it have brake light switch, and what thread is the mirror mount, just to be sure. I would advise that anyone buying one should do the same.
                          Last edited by bikerphil; 07-03-2014, 10:11 PM.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                            Hey Rich, you probably could have got away with the 1/2" MC if you had a Standard. The Specials have huge caliper pistons (42.8MM) vs. the Standard's 38MM. I run a 14MM on my Standard which is not much larger than the Raptor 1/2". Just my 2¢.
                            Now I feel stupid, I went back and sure enough people were putting them on their standards not specials.

Now I have no use for this.

Sucks though because it matched my bar end mirrors and handle bar brace.
                            1980 xs1100sg "some kind of cafe/tracker hybrid thingamajig" wip.

Comment

Rich,

It sounds to me like a good excuse to buy a Standard!

John
                              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Working...
                              X