Bike stalls at red lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike stalls at red lights

So, my xs11 runs great. Starts right up, no hesitation. BUT after it's warmed up, if I hit a red light it will stall. It stalls after sitting for 45-70 seconds. Anyone know where to start with this? I have to wait a second after stalling for
    The starter to go. Also, at idle the turn signals don't flash, so I'm thinking this is an electrical problem. If I rev it to ~1500 they run fine , but at 1100-1200 no blinky.

Thanks for any help.
    78 E

Maybe voltage drop from generator. Try cleaning main connections and use dielectric grease. Battery voltage may be marginal. A switch to an updated regulator like Geezer's sells allows for better charging at low idle RPMs.

And yes no blinky at idle is almost always a current drop situation. Check grounds too.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Mine will start dying now and then at stop lights when the plugs need to be replaced.

Check your voltages like JW said but the stock flashers don't really like to work at idle especially if they haven't been used for a while.

I found that setting the idle up, I run mine at around 1000 - 1100 will help in both cases. I know the book says 800 but that's too low in my opinion.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Mine will start dying now and then at stop lights when the plugs need to be replaced.

Check your voltages like JW said but the stock flashers don't really like to work at idle especially if they haven't been used for a while.

I found that setting the idle up, I run mine at around 1000 - 1100 will help in both cases. I know the book says 800 but that's too low in my opinion.
        As far as normal idle setting, that be 1100rpm(according to the original owners manual. If sigs. no-blinky at idle, then bike DEFINITELY has voltage drop issues. First lilkely culprit is gonna be poor connections, positive and grounding, and not necessarily lighting associated. Common voltage drop areas on these scoots is 1: poor multi ground connections, 2: resistance from poor contact connections from main plug-in behind fuse panel, 3: ignition switch contacts, 4: kill switch contacts.
        All those areas mentioned are the primary ones that are commonly traced to a voltage drop, or combination of all those. Other areas include grounding connections of wires on top-side of voltage regulator, batt. to frame to motor leads, etc.
        Get all thethem cleaned, stuffed with dielectic grease BEFORE plugging back together, bettin' your low voltage at idle will be resolved. Least resolved the issue on mine holding a bit over 12.8-13.1v at extended idling with signals bright and cycling as they should. My bikes electrical/charging system is all stock and original, so no modifications........as of yet anyways.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

IIRC for the E the manual says 800 or 850 or some stupid slow idle like that.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Also keep in mind that if your battery is not in top notch condition that at low rpm the charging system will not keep up, and you will have problems.
            2-79 XS1100 SF
            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
            X