Fairing riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairing riders

Ok I have been riding with a Vetter fairing since '81 or"82 and have always taken the lowers off in the warmer months thinking the engine runs hotter with them on,does anyone keep them on year round? I like keeping dry in the summer when in a nasty storm or at least warm when crossing the mountains in the rain but since that is usually only a small part of the riding experience I was wondering what you guys have done or at least a few thoughts.They are a bit big to just pack when it is hot out when on the road....I am just thinking out loud as I have gotten soaked and very cold on I80 in Utah in the mountains and then hot and humid when I have dropped down to the lower elevations.
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Fairing

I ride with my lowers on almost all the time. I haven't noticed any overheating. On a very hot day with them off, there is a bit more breeze on my lower legs. They are wonderful in the rain and cold. I only take them off to clean and service the engine, then I ride a bit, but soon put them back on.
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Comment

Originally posted by STEPPENWOLF View Post
      Ok I have been riding with a Vetter fairing since '81 or"82 and have always taken the lowers off in the warmer months thinking the engine runs hotter with them on,does anyone keep them on year round? I like keeping dry in the summer when in a nasty storm or at least warm when crossing the mountains in the rain but since that is usually only a small part of the riding experience I was wondering what you guys have done or at least a few thoughts.They are a bit big to just pack when it is hot out when on the road....I am just thinking out loud as I have gotten soaked and very cold on I80 in Utah in the mountains and then hot and humid when I have dropped down to the lower elevations.
      IMO, doesn't make any difference since engine is still frontal to the lowers. Mine been on since 81...........till three yrs. ago, and they've been shelved since. Likely go back on when I'm positively sure I've got it dialed in to the harmony it played 33yrs. prior(all stock/original cept for the 81Special carbies).
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I keep them on all year long but do need to take off for much of the mantenance. In summer it deflects heat from engine off legs when moving but does push it up on you are stuck in traffic I did make an extra mount to keep my lowers from banging against cylinder fins. There is about 1/4 to 3/8 ths clearance from motor. I have the Yamaha branded fairing and bags made by vetter with yamaha logos.
        To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
        1980 G Silverbird
        Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
        1198 Overbore kit
        Grizzly 660 ACCT
        Barnett Clutch Springs
        R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
        122.5 Main Jets
        ACCT Mod
        Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
        Antivibe Bar ends
        Rear trunk add-on
        http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Lowers

My best guesstimate is that you can ride with the lowers on in some of the climates. But not here in Georgia in the summer time. If you do, you will burn up - too hot. I leave mine off for the whole summer.

Mike
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I'm with you Mike. It's not the engine that overheats in the summer, it's ME!

I ride the slab with my feet on the highway pegs most of the time to keep my legs out of the hot air coming off the engine. The lowers make that more difficult.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I ride with mine on because I'm too lazy to take them off....plus my wellplugs are all cracked and I haven't had time to search for replacements...
              Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Thanks guys,I have always taken them off when it warms up around here as it is easy to do.I can put my boots on my hwy pegs easily at 6'2 with the lowers on.
                So I think I might put them back on this year..I have the xtra tall windshield so if I hit a rain storm I should have great protection except when stopped.
                I always wondered what you guys did as the local 11's I see are nakid most of the time.

'80 XS1100 SG
                Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Working...
                X