compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• compression

Checking my parts bike I get 150 lb compression on 2,3,4 but 180 lb on 1 ?
    I noticed the wires are switched, 1 is on 4 and 4 on 1 ?
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Done,
    Perhaps a valve adjustment is due?

It's a waste spark system, just like the XS650. It should run fine with #1 & #4 swapped.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

OK, so if I'm understanding right (?) the valves are closing sooner on that cylinder so they are capturing more air to create the 180 lb of compression.
      If those valves wore into the head further they would be opening for a longer period of time ? I'll check and see if it needs more or less thick shims ?
      I was thinking carbon ?
      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
      80 XS650 G Special II
      80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

Compression

When doing a compression test, you should verify that you have a very good battery. It is a good idea to have a battery charger hooked up. There is a possibility that the battery went down some causing the compression to show lower on the latter cylinders. All of your numbers are higher than normal. It is very unusual to have too much compression. It does not appear that you have a problem at all.

A valve adjustment is routine maintenance.

Mike
        1981 XS1100H Venturer
        K&N Air Filter
        ACCT
        Custom Paint by Deitz
        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        EBC Front Rotors
        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Hey Done,

You also didn't specify HOW you did the comp.test, cold or warm...suspecting cold only because you were concerned about the 1-4 plug wires, if you had tried to fire it up you would have found that it would have still fired properly. Did you try a squirt of oil in the cylinder and repeat....if increases can indicate worn rings...but again if cold, would not be as accurate. Yeah, aside from valve clearances being different, it could be carbon build up.....the #1 cylinder and carbs can get more clogged due to bikes being parked on sidestand.

But like has been stated, check/adjust the clearance, clean the carbs and the electrical connectors and fire it up. How long has it been since it has been run? Could also have partially stuck/gummed/varnished rings....a dose of Marvel mystery Oil in the engine prior to the oil/filter change...even if it has old oil in it now...as long as there is enough, the MMO will clean things nicely....NO hard full throttle revs, NO riding the bike, NO stress on the engine, just idle till warmed up, then run the clutch through the gears on the center stand to help clean the clutch plates. Let it run in the engine for about 5-10 minutes with a fan blowing across it, then kill it, drain and continue with the rebuild! And then while it's warm recheck the compression, but if still a little different, don't worry about it, just ride it a few hundred miles and then retest, will probably find it more evened out after engine has reseated and the rings have gotten unstuck.

T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Probably doubtful that your parts bike has gas in the tank, but if it does, any gas leaking past the petcocks and floats will likely make #1 higher.

I had it on one of my triples when I bought it.

Easy to pull the plug and see if the gas blows out.
            -Mike
            _________
            '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
            '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
            '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
            '79 XS750SF 17k miles
            '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
            '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
            '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Yes this was done cold, Slick 50 ONE lube used in testing, battery was at full charge and the high compression cylinder was the last one to be checked. Tank is off being soaked inside with a can of Berryman cleaner and fresh fuel, carbs will be next, can't wait to see what they look like inside ? I was told the bike ran fine last year but by it's looks I doubt that.
              Will follow all your advice ! Thank You All !
              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
              80 XS650 G Special II
              80 XS 1100 SG

Comment

XSive carbon buildup can cause differences in readings also or even a little more lube in that particular cylinder sitting on top of the piston.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                X