Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loctite...Red or Blue?

Hello all,

I'm just about ready to finish the gear swap of my xs1100lg...

I know that I should use a bit of Loctite in the bearing bolts (T30 Torx). Is there anywhere else that I should use it?

Should I use the Red or the Blue Loctite?

Thanks,

Tenorman
    Bikes that I have owned and enjoyed...
    1964 Allstate 250
    1970 Yamaha DT1
    1959 Mobylette
    1970 Yamaha JT1
    1995 Suzuki 80
    1978 Yamaha XS650
    1980 Yamaha XS1100LG
    2005 BMW R1150R

Thread Locker

I am a firm believer in using the "red". Some say that you will never get something back apart if you use red. That is not true. Use red, use it sparingly, and clean all threads involved. You use Locktite so your project will stay together. Lots of vibration on these bikes. Blue is a bit less of a bond against vibration. Use Locktite where ever you see a problem of a fastener getting loose. If you have a locknut or lock washer, Locktite here may be overkill.

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I am not as fervent a believer as Mike. The factory did not use ANY locktite on those bolts and they were in place when you took them out. I think red on anything but a life altering mission-critical bolt is overkill where it was not used and the blue is extra insurance with small chance of stripping them out next time.

But either is better than none!

And as Mike stated, clean the threads first for a good bond.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Hey John,

Sorry, but Yamaha DID use locktite on those 3 torx bolts/screws on the countershaft/bearing/oil cover! And the manual specifies to use it when reassembling. Those screws only hold that in place in a constant oil splash environment and under lots of vibration with the countershaft gears.

Another place to use BLUE locktite would/could be the clutch basket/star plate bolts. Also the large bolt on the other end of the countershaft that is to be torqued to ~51 ft/lbs that sits behind the clutch basket, folks have reported that it has loosened and chewed up or got chewed up against the clutch basket/gear teeth!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Locktite

If you ever take the cam gear bolts out, I would strongly recommend red on those when reassembling.

Mike
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
            I am not as fervent a believer as Mike. The factory did not use ANY locktite on those bolts and they were in place when you took them out. I think red on anything but a life altering mission-critical bolt is overkill where it was not used and the blue is extra insurance with small chance of stripping them out next time.

But either is better than none!

And as Mike stated, clean the threads first for a good bond.

John
            You can sit there and type that with a straight face after the oil pump bolt we found laying on the oil pan John?

I use red on those, the big bolt in the drive gear shaft and any other bolt that I've read about coming loose and causing damage internally.
            Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

red or blue

I just thought I'd chime in. My experience with blue Loctite is that it is more difficult to remove bolts with it on than red Loctite. A little heat on the bolt and it comes out with the blue and may come off without it just harder than red Loctite. That said, blue Loctite is what Chrysler uses in their transmissions,never red which tells me it is best suited for this type of application. I know they're not motorcycles,but it's what I work on. If it was mine, I'd use blue and hope I never have to mess with it again. Blue will hold if used on clean threads.
              Tracy
              1980 MIDNIGHT1100 RIDER.
              TRACY

Comment

Chrysler has been bought and sold several times over the last couple of decades. That should tell you something also.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That oil pump bolt was not life critical obviously

NASA stuff they probably need Red to do everything.

John
                  John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                  '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                  Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Originally posted by s63921c View Post
                    I just thought I'd chime in. My experience with blue Loctite is that it is more difficult to remove bolts with it on than red Loctite. A little heat on the bolt and it comes out with the blue and may come off without it just harder than red Loctite. That said, blue Loctite is what Chrysler uses in their transmissions,never red which tells me it is best suited for this type of application. I know they're not motorcycles,but it's what I work on. If it was mine, I'd use blue and hope I never have to mess with it again. Blue will hold if used on clean threads.
                    Tracy
                    Hmmm........the red I've used is for more permanent applications, with heat needed for removal. The blue is less permanent for easy removal,least always has been the last several decades i've used it, unless that's changed.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                      That oil pump bolt was not life critical obviously

NASA stuff they probably need Red to do everything.

John
                      Considering there are only 3........................
                      Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                      X