New Bike and a Couple of Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bike and a Couple of Questions

I picked up a 1980 xs1100sg a couple of weeks ago and have been on a minor odyssey with it. This forum has been invaluable. Thank you everyone for all the past posts. I've learned a lot. I've been through the carbs a couple of times (it is indeed imperative the vacuum advance gets plugged into the carb body of the number carb and not the boot), the brakes a couple of times (rebuilding the caliper means removing the square o-ring and cleaning the crud underneath it), the turn signals (grounds, grounds and grounds--including the grounds in under the lenses themselves), etc. The previous owner had undertaken a number of repairs and didn't finish them, so its been a challenge in figuring out what goes where. There's a couple of minor things that are nagging.

For example,what is this electrical part and where does it mount? Mine is just unsecured right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...2bc54a&vxp=mtr (Sorry, but I can't figure out how to post a picture yet.)

Also, it looks like he removed a couple of pinch bolts that hold the handlebar assembly to the top of the forks. I've got a couple of long allen head bolts that would fit, but they'd require nuts on the end. Of course, the nuts are missing. Is that what's supposed to go there?

Thanks again.
    80 SG

Questions

Originally posted by jacked_72 View Post
    I picked up a 1980 xs1100sg a couple of weeks ago and have been on a minor odyssey with it. This forum has been invaluable. Thank you everyone for all the past posts. I've learned a lot. I've been through the carbs a couple of times (it is indeed imperative the vacuum advance gets plugged into the carb body of the number carb and not the boot), the brakes a couple of times (rebuilding the caliper means removing the square o-ring and cleaning the crud underneath it), the turn signals (grounds, grounds and grounds--including the grounds in under the lenses themselves), etc. The previous owner had undertaken a number of repairs and didn't finish them, so its been a challenge in figuring out what goes where. There's a couple of minor things that are nagging.

For example,what is this electrical part and where does it mount? Mine is just unsecured right now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS110...2bc54a&vxp=mtr (Sorry, but I can't figure out how to post a picture yet.)

Also, it looks like he removed a couple of pinch bolts that hold the handlebar assembly to the top of the forks. I've got a couple of long allen head bolts that would fit, but they'd require nuts on the end. Of course, the nuts are missing. Is that what's supposed to go there?

Thanks again.
    The item pictured is the ballast resistor. It is originally installed with a screw on the left side of the frame just under the gas tank. Look carefully and you should see the place (bolt hole bracket) where it goes - it is towards the front of the tank.

The handle bars are originally secured with a single cap that goes across all four bolts holes. It has "Ignition" imprinted into it. 4 allen head bolts secure the bars in place with this piece. If I find a picture, I will post it.

A member here, andreasweiss, sells used parts for these bikes. You can contact him or look on eBay, or post in the "parts wanted" section of this forum to try and locate what you need.
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment