gear removal on froze up engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gear removal on froze up engine

I have an 80 1100 engine that was left outside with no spark plugs, and it is froze up. Is there any way I can get the tranny gears out? Can this be done without turning the engine? Or will I have to cut off the cylinders and rods?
    put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
    79 F (Blueballs)
    79 SF (Redbutt)
    81 LH (organ donor)
    79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
    76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
    rover has spoken

Hey Rover,

Are you wanting to try to save the engine, or are you just trying to scavenge the gears?? I would think you should be able to just SPLIT the cases and pull the bottom of the case off to access the gears/shafts without having to pull the jugs. But of course you'll need to pull the engine from the frame to do it. To do it with the engine intact, the tip describes that you need to be able to shift the tranny into 4th gear to be able to move the shift forks and such to be able to get the gear shaft out. Once you pull the clutch basket off, that will disengage the pistons/engine from the tranny, so IF the tranny isn't frozen, then you should be able to shift it into 4 by wiggling/spinning the rear wheel as you manipulate the gear shift.

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Engine is out. The pistons are frozen to the cylinder walls. I doubt that I can shift to 4th gear or get the jugs off. Will I have to saw off the jugs? I don't want to save any other parts.
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      rover has spoken

Comment

Hey Again,

Take a look at this tech tip by Tod/Trbig, it starts with the ASSEMBLY process, he explains why. Just scroll down to the BOTTOM of the tip and work your way back up for the disassembly process....he has the jugs/pistons OFF/OUT, but you don't need to have them out to split the cases!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35429

You could still shift gears once you get the clutch basket off, just rotate the middle drive U-joint as you work the gear shift lever. But Tod would probably say since you're not trying to save anything else, just SPLIT the cases and dive in.

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

gears

Thanks for the replies, TC. Over the years you have been such a big help to me and EVERYONE!! I still have the spin-on filter on my standard, and after cutting the groove for the large o-ring, still leak free. Still thinking of trying to adapt an auto alternator to the XS11. How did yours come out? Still running it?
          79 F (Blueballs)
          79 SF (Redbutt)
          81 LH (organ donor)
          rover has spoken

Comment

Working...
          X