leaking cam plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking cam plugs

Hi everyone, I've got some oil weeping from my cam billet plugs. Is this just a matter of removing the valve covers, removing the cam plugs and applying some RTV sealant to the the plugs before re installing?
    1979 XS1100SF 37000km
    Green Dyna Coils
    Stainless Brake Lines

1973 CB100
    kevXS

Oil Leak

Yes, take them out , clean them and the pockets and apply RTV sealer. Ultra Grey seems to work the best.

Mike
    1981 XS1100H Venturer
    K&N Air Filter
    ACCT
    Custom Paint by Deitz
    Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
    Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
    Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    EBC Front Rotors
    Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Get new ones, they're only a couple bucks each. They harden and collapse over time.

I use 3M weather strip adhesive (gorilla snot) to glue them in the head since sometimes they seem to want to blow out of there at the most inappropriate times.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
        Get new ones, they're only a couple bucks each. They harden and collapse over time.

I use 3M weather strip adhesive (gorilla snot) to glue them in the head since sometimes they seem to want to blow out of there at the most inappropriate times.
        If I understand what the OP said, he stated they were some of the aluminum ones like what xschop used to make. I would not throw those away!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
        X