Brake line knuckle washers & cam cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake line knuckle washers & cam cover gasket

Please excuse me if I have the incorrect terminology.
    The brake line on my XS is leaking a little bit, right underneath the triple tree at the spot on the brake line where it Tees into two lines. Any suggestions? The knuckle washers at this spot appear to be leaking and I'd like to replace them. So should I shop for a used replacement off of the EBay or elsewhere or does somebody have a good place to get new bolt and washers?

Also....I'd like to replace my leaky cam cover gasket. I can find a lot of these for sale online...any suggestions on good ones or will any of the one I am seeing work?

Thank you.
    81H Venturer

past bikes
    1990 Suzuki VX800
    1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    1995 BMW K75SA

Unless that brake line splitter is cracked or the threads are messed up there is no need to replace it. Just take the lines off, if the crush washers are copper you can re-anneal them and reuse them (if they are aluminum just go get new ones at the auto parts store, don't reuse aluminum ones). Clean all the parts up, put it back together, and re-bleed the brake system.

Valve cover gasket us not needed and can be replaced with RTV gasket sealant.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Cam cover:

It is a good idea to replace those half moon cam plugs on the right side, they shrink over time (30+ yrs. ). It's your choice to use a gasket or RTV sealer. Either way, I'd use some sealer around those cam plugs and wipe/trim the excess away.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Those copper washers are nothing special. Take one to any auto parts house and match it up. The banjo bolt may just be a little loose though, try tightening it.

VALVE COVER GASKET & PLUGS
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Well, that link doesn't seem to want to work. Let's try this one......

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/yama...gory%5D=engine
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Great, thank you all very much for all the tips. Man, do I love this site!!
            Cheers.
            81H Venturer

past bikes
            1990 Suzuki VX800
            1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
            1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

Working...
            X