1980 xs1100 special questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 xs1100 special questions

i got this bike last fall for a saw. i just noticed a ticking noise on number #1. after really concentrating on the sound i unplugged the vacuum advance and it stopped. what should i do to fix that sound?
    i need a few more pieces to finish the bike.

how it looked when i got it

how it looks now

have to finish the last little pieces then time to sync and ride
    80 LH

I the vacuum advance was connected directly to the intake boot it could cause that kind of noise. I should be connected to the #2 carb. (can't tell how you have it from the pictures)
    Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
    80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
    82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
    82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
    72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

By the way the bike is looking good!
      Ty

Comment

thanks ill move it. thanks its taken a lot of work and wiring to get it to where it is. gotta get my new headlight lens so i can have my halo turn signals and my matching bullet lights for the frame. I've rewired most of the bike so far. have to get a new fuse box it just broke. still have to make the restricter plates that will go on the stacks before the pods. the exhaust looks like its wide open but it has baffles in it to make it more responsive. the side covers where the trick to the look. had to move the fuse panel and all the wiring in front of the battery box to make the covers flat.
        80 LH

Comment

Hmmmmmm.......... that's a Midnight Special. Please tell me you didn't hack off the back of the frame and throw away all the parts you took off.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I had an LH that I gave to my daughter a couple of years ago that started out looking like yours did (it had a set of carbs but no seat). It was pulled out of a field after sitting for ten years. (I pulled the weeds out before take this picture)

I need to pull the head back off to replace the valve stem seals and remove a stuck spark plug.

Her bike is not stock anymore either. IMHO anytime a bike is brought back to a ride able state it's a good thing.
            Ty

Comment

Just noticed, it has standard forks on it too.

Front end a little squirrely?
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I thought the standard forks the axle was at the end of the forks.

Edit: I was looking at my picture not his.
                Last edited by tcoop; 06-16-2014, 02:27 PM.
                Ty

Comment

Not your coop, his. Look at the pic....

Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

the back of the frame was twisted. i have the grab bar, taillight and all the turn signals. i just have no use for them. this bike was abandoned for 17 years laying against a tree. the front forks are from a buddies harley. alot of my parts are aftermarket or parts from other bikes. alot of thanks to my buddies for all the parts they horded. the forks are 39mm off of a dyna. forgot i needed a gas cap too
                    80 LH

Comment

That's a mighty fine looking bike, I like the parts-substitution list for it too!

-- Scott
                      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                      1979 XS1100F: parts
                      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                      X