No announcement yet.

Top end noise that won't go away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been around this bike my whole life and I can say with confidence that it does not sound right. I'm not comfortable riding it like it is right now and need to figure out what is making the noise. There is a difference between a noisy top end and what I've got going on.

Here are the 2 cam shaft marks.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/R0...w381-h214-p-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4c...w382-h214-p-no

This is zoomed out a little.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/fi...w381-h214-p-no

Comment

With the tensioner properly installed, you should have 1/4" of stretch pulling up on the chain in between the two cam gears.

2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

It may be a little tighter than that...is that an issue and if so what can I do to address it?

I can pull the acct off tonight and reinstall it but aside from making sure the engine is in the right place it seems like a difficult to mess up operation.

Comment

A little tighter is OK, looser than 1/4" is no good. Are you 100% positive that your exhaust gaskets are not leaking? Even a little leak can produce a loud ticking noise.
          Last edited by bikerphil; 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I am not positive they are not leaking so I ordered new gaskets as soon as I heard the sound and they should be here in the next couple days. I sprayed them with water and tried to see if there was a leak but I didn't see anything.

That said it definitely sounds like valve noise when listening up close or through a screw driver. It also sounds like its #3 or #4 but I know sound can move through the motor.

Comment

I think I have a spare shim and can go up a size in #3 if needed but .08 shouldn't make that much noise.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                I have a 3H3 79 engine in my SG
                Oops again I meant to say 2H7.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Last night I pulled the plugs and tried to look at each of the valves while I rotated the engine. I also pulled the acct reset it and re-installed.

Everything appeared to be correct and in working order but when I got it back together and started it the noise was still there.

I'm picking up a gauge and will be checking the cylinder pressure tonight but from the way it runs I expect it to be fine. I'm at a loss and the only options I can think of are tearing the engine down for a complete rebuild or wheeling it back into the corner...either of witch end with me riding her this summer.

Comment

Before you give up readjust your valves and set them a little tighter. I personally don't think you have an issue other than your not used to the noise with the clearances set at the fat side.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I appreciate your opinion that there isn't a problem and don't know what I'm listening to but I would have to disagree. Clearly my video does not do the noise justice.

To be clear the bike was running fine then after getting off the freeway it developed this tick so I shut it down until I had time to work on it. Life went on and the bike sat for a few years. I'm now trying to resolve the issue and had hoped it was only a timing chain in need of adjustment but that does not appear to be the case.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I'm sure I will figure it out.

Comment

I just adjusted mine last weekend and as I said before it's much louder than before.

Here's what it sounds like.......

http://youtu.be/-xv6gE19Iqw
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

In the higher RPMs it doesn't seem as bad but I drop it down to idle its very pronounced and the metal on metal sound is unsettling. If it didn't have a tick that I was trying to fix before adjusting then I don't think I would as concerned.

The plan right now is to pressure test it and assure there are no issues. If all checks out I will swap out the acct for the old manual one and test. IF that doesn't change the sound then I will swap the shim out on #3 since it is the only one with a larger gap then the rest. (The noise appears to be coming from that side as well)

If none of that helps me isolate the noise then I will come up with a new plan.

Before the recession there was an awesome shop that specialized in older bikes and one of the guys even owned a couple XS1100's...too bad they are gone because a second in person opinion would really put my mind at ease.

Comment

Is that a stock exhaust on there? If so it's double walled and I've also heard of the inner pipe breaking and rattling.

You might want to check that out also.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

No, my old exhaust died some time ago. I modified the headers from the stock exhaust to support slip on mufflers and have a set of HD stock Fat Boy Pipes on there.

Comment

So, you still have the stock down pipes?
                                Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                                X