Exhaust Pipe Bolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Pipe Bolt

So I took off the exhaust pipes to clean them up and to put a wrap on the front portion. And them removed the horrible looking exhaust gasket and put in new ones....and the nut could get a hold of a very slim portion of the bolt...and it then proceeded to strip it. So there is a maybe a 1/3 of a whined that is stripped off and I notice that the bolt its self looks like it went a little further into the block.

So here is my question. How do I back the bolt out far enough to have enough threading so I can put the nut on there and get back to riding?

79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Two nuts, put an box end wrench on the inside nut and turn. If the outside nut turns, tighten it down then try again with the inside nut. If you stripped it, install a new stud. Pain in the butt.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Brilliant! Some times I over think things...I'll give this shot! Thank you!
      79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

And work on my grammar lol....

Comment

If you get it to turn just replace it.
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            If you get it to turn just replace it.
            +1. No sense having it snap off when a nut catches on the messed up threads.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights
            Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines
            Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
            X