Frustrated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated!

Cannot find an accurate way to measure/set carb float height!
    Per FSM height should be set between 0.972-1.051 in. I figured 1" would be easiest to manage.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Use the depth gauge on a caliper.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      Use the depth gauge on a caliper.
      I have a caliper of some sort, but things were in the way ridges, posts etc... apparently I was measuring from the wrong spot
      Got a tip from another thread, using an old gasket cut to float height
      Last edited by Nubian; 06-11-2014, 12:43 PM.
      BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Oh and also with your bike, if you still have the late model carbs your float height is 23mm not the 25.7mm.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

?

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          Oh and also with your bike, if you still have the late model carbs your float height is 23mm not the 25.7mm.
          As you may well know, I have an '81H with the plastic floats and my manual (LIT-11616-XS-13) says 24.7-26.7
          Last edited by Nubian; 06-11-2014, 12:55 PM.
          BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Originally posted by Nubian View Post
            As you may well know, I have an '81H with the plastic floats and my manual (LIT-11616-XS-13) says 24.7-26.7
            Incorrect. Nate IS correct with the 23mm setting. Be aware that 1mm change of float setting is some 3mm of actual fuel level change, so you HAVE to be somewhat anal/particular with these settings. That'll be .905in. for the 23mm setting.
            If it were 23.5mm, for example, that would be .925. Even though that seems like a minute amount, it CAN and WILL cause adverse running issues, so it is extremely important to get floats all identical height!

Use the end leg of your slide caliper on the carb gasket base, with upper portion coming across the HIGHEST portion of float. If you are seeing even a smiggin' of daylight between float and gauge, adjust it so it barely drags/touches when sliding across float. Hope that helps get you squared away.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Used Schming method, did not compensate for ridge. Set at 23mm. Checked bowl fuel levels. All identical, but 3/16" below top of flat bowl surface. Right where screws securing bowls bottom out. Since they are all identical may I leave them as is? or raise level another 3/16"?
              BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Disregard

Used Schming method, did not compensate for ridge. Set at 23mm. Checked bowl fuel levels. All identical, but 3/16" below top of flat bowl surface. Right where screws securing bowls bottom out. Since they are all identical may I leave them as is? or raise level another 3/16"?
                It's right where it should be according to mack's post #13 on below thread. That's exactly where my levels are

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...g+float+height
                BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

It's right where it should be according to mack's post #13 on below thread. That's exactly where my levels are

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...g+float+height
                  That actual fuel level is a millimeter low, but if bowl fuel levels are identical, that DID take a bit of fiddleing. At this point, for all puposes, leave them be. May or may not cause a bit of a lean cond. on the upper rpm range.
                  81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Now i've got other problems, I can't get a vacuum reading on #2, all 4 pipes are hot. Messed with the settings for the other three and the main to get #2 onboard and now I think I may have to bench sync to get started again.
                    Last edited by Nubian; 06-14-2014, 04:51 PM.
                    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

Comment

Working...
                    X