X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
    and don't panic!

As I wrote in the first paragraph of the first post:

The original XS1100G wiring is a light Japanese 14 gauge wire fused for 30 Amps. It runs from the Battery up to the Ignition switch, then from the switched power side of the switch it goes down to the Fuse Box. That is roughly six or seven feet of 14 gauge wire.

The upgraded wiring I added to my XS11 is 10 gauge all the way from the Battery to the Ignition switch, then 12 gauge to the Fuse Box. That's a little over three feet each of #10 and #12. The only non-fused components on that circuit are the Always-Hot Regulator/Rectifier output spliced to the 10 gauge Battery Main feed on the Load side of the circuit breaker and the 12 gauge Brown switched power wire to the Fuse Box.

WARNING! The Brown switched power wire on any XS1100 serves non-fused triple-duty:

Thanks Scott, for supplying gauge details. Your original post might have led some of the electrically challenged forum readers into thinking that they could just install a 50 amp breaker in place of the fuse, and all would be well.

Holy smoke!

CZ

Comment

The only real difficult part of the upgrade was changing the wires in the Ignition Switch. I had to remove the #14 wires and solder in the #10 and #12 wires so the switch didn't turn into a fusible link.

Now that the 50 Amp circuit breaker is installed along with the XJ11 alternator and Regulator/Rectifier I have some extra amperage available to play with. I plan to upgrade the cigarette lighter in the fairing to handle the compressors in the A/C unit and the beer cooler and of course the Aux Power connector will have to be slightly modified too for the hydraulic pump on the expando unit and self-leveling jacks.

-- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
        The only real difficult part of the upgrade was changing the wires in the Ignition Switch. I had to remove the #14 wires and solder in the #10 and #12 wires so the switch didn't turn into a fusible link.

Now that the 50 Amp circuit breaker is installed along with the XJ11 alternator and Regulator/Rectifier I have some extra amperage available to play with. I plan to upgrade the cigarette lighter in the fairing to handle the compressors in the A/C unit and the beer cooler and of course the Aux Power connector will have to be slightly modified too for the hydraulic pump on the expando unit and self-leveling jacks.

Or, you could save yourself the trouble, and just go buy a Hardley,

or Goldwing,

or BMW

CZ

Comment

Working...
        X