Issues when vacuum syncing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues when vacuum syncing

So I bought a vacuum sync. I cleaned the carbs, adjusted floats, bench synced, and the bike runs. I took it for a spin and man is it fast.
    It is running a little rough so I bought a vacuum sync and attpted to sync. I can adjust three of the carbs together, however the carb (cyl 3) which doesn't have a throttle adjustment screw, is quite a bit off. I pulled the plugs. Plugs for 1,2,&4 were a nice, clean black with a great tan color on the firing tip. The plug from 3 was a little fouled. Too rich. Then I ran out of time (the story of my life with this bike). So I guess I'll close (tighten) the mix screw a little bit and go from there? Any other suggestions on the best, most efficient way in which to proceed?
    81H Venturer

past bikes
    1990 Suzuki VX800
    1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    1995 BMW K75SA

#3 carb is your static carb. The carbs have to be adjusted to the #3 carb. The screw down between #3 and #4. Adjust #4 to #3, screw vetwee #1 and #2 adjust #1 and #2 to match, and the screw between #2 and #3 adjust #1/2 pair to match #3/4 pair.
    Last edited by natemoen; 06-08-2014, 04:47 AM.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The sequence for sync is to adjust 1&2 to match using the adjuster between the 2 carbs. Then match 3&4 using the screw between those 2 carbs. Then match 1&2 with 3&4 using the screw between 2&3. Also sync at the lowest rpm you can keep the bike running at. The sync will not affect the plug color unless you are way off. After you sync it go back and readjust the idle mixtures using either the idle drop or highest rpm methods. After that check the sync again and adjust again as nesasary. Try that and let us know how it turns out.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Nat you must type faster than me .
        wingnut
        81 SH (Daily Ride)
        81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ok..well I know about adjusting to the 3rd carb, however what I am saying is that if the reading for the 3rd carb is way off, essentially I am adjusting the other carbs to be way off as well.
          81H Venturer

past bikes
          1990 Suzuki VX800
          1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

During the sync process you don't care what the reading is. Just as long as all four are close to the same. If your number three is not running that could be a problem. Correct that issue, adjust the idle mixture or float hight, whatever the problem is. Verify that #3 is firing using the water on the pipe test adjust the idle mixture to obtain the highest rpm and try a re sync
            wingnut
            81 SH (Daily Ride)
            81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

How did you decided #3 is "way off" then?
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by wingnut View Post
                During the sync process you don't care what the reading is. Just as long as all four are close to the same. If your number three is not running that could be a problem. Correct that issue, adjust the idle mixture or float hight, whatever the problem is. Verify that #3 is firing using the water on the pipe test adjust the idle mixture to obtain the highest rpm and try a re sync

Well the carb gods took it easy on me. I am not sure why #3 was off, but I inspected the float height again, cleaned the spark plug....and I got lucky when it then ran much closer to the others. I adjusted all four and it seems to be running well. I took it for a ride and voíla. These bikes sound/ride great!
                81H Venturer

past bikes
                1990 Suzuki VX800
                1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

Working...
                X