Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who's been running a 55/100 bulb in a Special, and for how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's been running a 55/100 bulb in a Special, and for how long?

Just put in the Euro style clear headlight and a 55/100 watt bulb until I do the full HID switch. Just wondering if people beefed up their wiring or have been okay with the stock wiring and how long they've run it? I only plan on flipping it to 100 when I want to see up ahead once in awhile, def not on for an hour or more. Besides which, I don't think the electrics could keep up with the amperage required.
    Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

I will second that question and raise it a level of curiosity... Have been running a NAPA BP1210H4 80/100w in another bike for 3 years and it is superb with no issues to the stock wiring or connector (2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200).

What is the collective experience with real world experience in running a bulb that is more wattage on low beam that is on all the time in an XS1100?

My thought is a 55/100w used on High beam sparingly would be fine, but what about a higher wattage low beam that is on all the time?
    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I also run a 80w/100w bulb, don't remember the part number though. Mine has a very slight blue tint to it. Many options to choose from just don't get to high of a wattage as it creates more heat than stock and could melt any plastic in the area.
      Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
        I will second that question and raise it a level of curiosity... Have been running a NAPA BP1210H4 80/100w in another bike for 3 years and it is superb with no issues to the stock wiring or connector (2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200).

What is the collective experience with real world experience in running a bulb that is more wattage on low beam that is on all the time in an XS1100?

My thought is a 55/100w used on High beam sparingly would be fine, but what about a higher wattage low beam that is on all the time?
        Had one in my original fairing light Howard. No overload issues, but they ARE designated for "off-road", and the fact the light is more directiional I saw no gains from it. In fact, being more forward directional, even tho brighter, perifhial(however its spelled) visibility was REDUCED. Hope that helps.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I'm running a 65/85w bulb with stock wiring and switch. That said, I had to go through my switch and replace the connectors when I got the bike so the connections are like new...

If I still did a lot of night riding, I'd get one of the 80/100w bulbs again. I had one in the old Guzzi back in the 80's and it was fantastic out in BFE where there were no street lights. Not too noticeable in town under the street lights...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

ran one in my 78 E for 20 years with no problems
            Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
            Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
            and SOXS
            2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

I don't see $.02 of difference in the 80/100w H4 bulb construction of the NAPA bulb I mentioned vs. a standard H4 bulb that would lead to different light patterns.

It is a much better light to ride by! To my knowledge the "off road" use is because they are above legal wattage and thus not DOT approved.

I use my ZRX1200 as the reference here, and the light when using this bulb is spectacular compared to stock with no downgrade in dispersion, so can't see why that wouldn't be the same case with the bulb in an XS11 headlight?
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                Had one in my original fairing light Howard. No overload issues, but they ARE designated for "off-road", and the fact the light is more directiional I saw no gains from it. In fact, being more forward directional, even tho brighter, perifhial(however its spelled) visibility was REDUCED. Hope that helps.
                Sorry but I disagree. The bulb configuration is exactly the same as a lower watt bulb. The issue you might have had was a inferior reflector or lens in your fairing headlight. I do 90% of my driving on dark country roads and I noticed a dramatic increase in light output without it distorting or flaring out like an HID in the wrong reflector would. Yes the higher watt bulb draws more current which I compensated for by using LED bulbs in almost all my other lights. A person just needs to be careful as the higher watts create more heat thus could damage a plastic headlight bucket if you go to a higher wattage. I have had no issues with that at the wattage I stated I was using. As far as peripheral (thanks spell check) light goes the high beam shines farther down the road and in all fairness I do run small 55w driving lights on my case guards which light the area right in front and to the sides. and very well I might add. If a person primarily rides in the city or other well lit area there is no need to change from stock DOT approved bulbs. I would otherwise highly recommend the "upgrade" if you ride in the country after dark. Happy riding
                Just ME and my 82 XJ 1100. Mac 4>1-2 1/2" open baffle shotgun, no octy, K&N pod filters, LED tail/brake light & directionals, 750 FD mod, Ear Cannon air horn, modified bars and dash. "Motorcyclists are all bound together by a brotherhood tie through their love of the sport, and what difference does it make what machine he rides as long as he belongs to the clan." Walter Davidson, Dec. 1920 edition of Harley-Davidson Enthusiast Magazine http://s851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78/justme1100/

Comment

Hey there Justme,

I posted this recently in the HID thread: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...7&postcount=93

You're running a pair of 55watt aux lights...which are drawing a total of 8-9 amps! The ones in the link above only draw 1 amp each, they are NOT quite as bright as the 55's,(only about 1350 lumens vs. ~2400 of a 55watt halogen) but like you said, they do provide decent closer side of the road illumination, and at a much lower energy cost...! JAT!

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                  X