Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight Question

Hello All

I have a question about my headlight. I installed a LED Headlight from TrukLite. It looks great, however when start the bike the low beam and high beam light up. The switch does not turn off the high beam. However, when the bike is not running the headlight works as intended, with low and high. What do you think the problem is. Could it be the reserve light relay has gone bad? Or do you think it has something to do with the low draw LED? Thanks
    1979 xs1100f
    New Fuse Box
    Progressive Shocks
    Gold Valve Emulator
    Dyna Coils
    Electronic Flasher
    Led Headlight
    Led Turn Signals
    4 Led Driving Lights
    2nd Gear Fix
    Auto Cam Tensioner
    Digital Dash
    Stainless Braided Lines
    R6 4 Piston Calipers
    Stainless Bolt Kit
    Maier Fairing
    Dyna Balancing Beads
    Spin On Oil Filter
    Stebel Nautilus Horn
    Plasti Dip Rims
    ISO Grips

I'd say either bad wiring within the headlight bucket, or bad RLU.
    1979 XS1100F
    2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

You've got the plug shorted somehow. Sounds kinda like you have the low beam and high beam plugs backwards.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I will check those things. But why would it work correctly when the bike is not running?
        1979 xs1100f
        New Fuse Box
        Progressive Shocks
        Gold Valve Emulator
        Dyna Coils
        Electronic Flasher
        Led Headlight
        Led Turn Signals
        4 Led Driving Lights
        2nd Gear Fix
        Auto Cam Tensioner
        Digital Dash
        Stainless Braided Lines
        R6 4 Piston Calipers
        Stainless Bolt Kit
        Maier Fairing
        Dyna Balancing Beads
        Spin On Oil Filter
        Stebel Nautilus Horn
        Plasti Dip Rims
        ISO Grips

Comment

Ian

How does your headlight work? I would think mine would work the same as yours. The strange thing is it works as intended when the bike isn't running. As soon as I start the bike the high beam comes on and stays on.

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          I'd say either bad wiring within the headlight bucket, or bad RLU.
          1979 xs1100f
          New Fuse Box
          Progressive Shocks
          Gold Valve Emulator
          Dyna Coils
          Electronic Flasher
          Led Headlight
          Led Turn Signals
          4 Led Driving Lights
          2nd Gear Fix
          Auto Cam Tensioner
          Digital Dash
          Stainless Braided Lines
          R6 4 Piston Calipers
          Stainless Bolt Kit
          Maier Fairing
          Dyna Balancing Beads
          Spin On Oil Filter
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          Plasti Dip Rims
          ISO Grips

Comment

I was thinking. If the LED draws less power perhaps my problem is that the RLU thinks my low beam is blown thus switching to the high beam. So perhaps I need to bypass the RLU. What do you all think.
            1979 xs1100f
            New Fuse Box
            Progressive Shocks
            Gold Valve Emulator
            Dyna Coils
            Electronic Flasher
            Led Headlight
            Led Turn Signals
            4 Led Driving Lights
            2nd Gear Fix
            Auto Cam Tensioner
            Digital Dash
            Stainless Braided Lines
            R6 4 Piston Calipers
            Stainless Bolt Kit
            Maier Fairing
            Dyna Balancing Beads
            Spin On Oil Filter
            Stebel Nautilus Horn
            Plasti Dip Rims
            ISO Grips

Comment

Off the top of my head, Rev, unless you do some modifications to add resistance to the headlight circuit the RLU doesn't play well with anything except incandescent lamps.

Adding resistance to fool the RLU kind of defeats the purpose of putting in the high-tech low-current lighting so bypass the RLU and run the headlight straight from the Blue/Black wire after the Headlight Relay. If that fixes the problem then you can decide what to do from there.

-- Scott
              _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRev View Post
                I was thinking. If the LED draws less power perhaps my problem is that the RLU thinks my low beam is blown thus switching to the high beam. So perhaps I need to bypass the RLU. What do you all think.
                I would think this is the answer. Ditch the RLU.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Hey Rev- Yes, my headlight works fine. I believe my RLU is bypassed.
                  1979 XS1100F
                  2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Wiring Bypass:

Reserve Lighting Unit: Unplug unit and connect blu/blk and blu/yel together at the harness plug.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                      Wiring Bypass:

Reserve Lighting Unit: Unplug unit and connect blu/blk and blu/yel together at the harness plug.
                      This sounds like the way to go.
                      Over the years I've only had 1 bike that the low or was it high beam (does not matter) burned out, at night. The light that was emitted by the alternate filament was not enough to see the road, so instantly I switched the switch gear control to the to the light that was just glowing and on it came.
                      This was a situation that could have been real bad if I had been running the curves out in the sticks on the mountain !!!!!
                      That RLU is only there so you won't be ticketed for not having any light on, not to light your way.
                      What say you all ?
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Kawasaki put a RLD (Reserve Lighting Device) on my '81 KZ750 and the automatic headlight filament switcher thing saved my butt when I lived up in Oakhurst. Almost everyone lives off the paved road, third pine tree on the right, that kind of thing and riding off-road dramatically shortens the life of the sealed beam halogen headlight. You know it's going to fail, you just don't know when.

Now, having dated Murphy's daughter in High School he's never forgotten me so, naturally, the high beam winked out as I was tooling around Bass Lake one night at my usual safe and sane rate of speed on a narrow, twisty, two lane road going around the moonlit lake and the low beam instantly switched on.

The important part is that I stayed out of the lake that night so some fisherman didn't snag his hook on me or the bike the next day.

RLU: it's what's for dinner instead of you!
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Head light "out" but no RLU indicator or low beam on my '81

As I read this thread, I'm wondering what might be going on with my bike. The headlight just stopped all together, (no warning light that I'm told would come on from RLU - and no low beam either).

I check resistance on the bulb and it seems fine. I guess next test is to see if it's getting volts.

Any initial thoughts here are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Jay
                          81 LH

Comment

Someone may have bypassed the RLU, it is located under the fuel tank just in front of the voltage regulator. The RLU may also be bad. Have you checked the headlight fuse?
                            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-18-2014, 07:52 AM.
                            2H7 (79)
                            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Thanks, I will check.
                              81 LH

Comment

Working...
                              X