stainless brake lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless brake lines

I am planning on replacing my brake lines with stainless braided lines. I was wondering if a 2 line front set would work with my 79 Special (which I believe is originally 3 line), and if there are any advantages to using a 2 line or 3 line set.
    Robert
    79 SF

I put stainless (Chris Rawsons) lines on my '80 Midnight Special. Dramatic improvement, and I highly recommend this mod.

I used the three line set on my Midnight, but recently put a two line set on my friend's 'wing.

Two line set:
    Advantage: I found it much easier to bleed.

Disadvantage: You now have two lines running all the way up to your master cylinder. Some do not like the look, some do. You also have to get the longer, double banjo bolt for use at the master cylinder, though on my friend's 'wing, I was able to use the double out of the crossover. Don't know if you can do that on your Special or not . . .

So . . . choose . . . and enjoy.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

stainless braided lines

Tim Sears (long time lurker) here. Where are you getting the lines made up? I put a set on (Chris Rawson's) a year or so ago. I am very happy with it. I now need a custom line (MC to union) made up for my lower front end. I need about a 3 inch shorter one. And where is a good place to get crush washers? I'd like to buy a gross of them.

Thanks in advance,
      Tim
      79, 80, 81 Specials
      80 XS11 Special

Comment

Well, Chris makes the upper ones also . . . he may make you a custom one, don't know.

I ordered the ones for the 'wing from the "Total performance" cataolgue at my local Yammi dealer. They can be bought seperately in whatever lengths, and then you buy screw on fittings for the ends. After using those, I have no qualms with them ('cept the price). They are very high quality.
        CUAgain,
        Daniel Meyer

Comment

Re: stainless braided lines

Tim,

Any auto parts store will sell you 10mm crush washer for CHEAP, but they are a bigger OD and will not work where they have to fit down inside something. They work on about half the location though. I got a bagful of Yamaha ones from Zanotti's last time I ordered. I also have the Chris Rawson Stainless lines and am very happy with it, Chris also can do a custom line as well......

Originally posted by tsears
          Tim Sears (long time lurker) here. Where are you getting the lines made up? I put a set on (Chris Rawson's) a year or so ago. I am very happy with it. I now need a custom line (MC to union) made up for my lower front end. I need about a 3 inch shorter one. And where is a good place to get crush washers? I'd like to buy a gross of them.

Thanks in advance,
          Tim
          79, 80, 81 Specials
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I am planning to get the brake lines from Chris, just wondering about 2 vs. 3 line sets. Am I going to need crush washers?
            Robert
            79 SF

Comment

stainless lines

Hi Guys,

How are you contacting Chris Rawson? I emailed him a couple weeks ago and got no response.
              And I would definitely use new crush washers whenever you put these lines on.

Thanks,
              Tim
              80 XS11 Special

Comment

I ordered brake lines from Chris in May and haven't seen them yet. One e-mail from him said he would ship in about a week. That was 6 weeks ago. I e-mailed him a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard back. Chris may be slow getting back to you. I hope he is ok!!
                Gary
                79sf
                78e

Comment

Chris emailed me last week (Wed/17) with pricing for SS lines, so he's around.
                  Robert
                  79 SF

Comment

P.S. Where's a good place to get the crush washers?
                    Robert
                    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Haller
                      P.S. Where's a good place to get the crush washers?
                      Motorcycle shop, auto parts store, industrial supply house.

Or, if you can't find new ones, it's been said that you can reuse the old ones. I have yet to try this myself, so YMMV. Heat them until cherry red, and pop them into cold water. The loud POP that you hear is the washer returning to it's original shape.
                      Brian
                      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
                      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
                      remembering the same thing!

Comment

I re-use the old ones and you do not need to heat them up. If they are not broken or heavily scarred they will seal.
                        CUAgain,
                        Daniel Meyer

Comment

I agree with Danny,
                          I added Chris' SS break lines last year and used the old ones, as is. No problems at all.
                          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#BD0062]Wayne[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                          [b][size=4][font=times][color=#095de5]TeXSive forever[/color][/font][/size][/b]
                          The best alarm clock is sunshine on chrome.

Comment

Working...
                          X