Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cylinder

Hello and help

I'm attempting to put my cylinder back on and I am have a $&^% of a time. I replaced the pistons and rings to one size over Std. I did get the Cylinder on but I could not rotate the pistons to the T postion. Just got stuck? Ended up breaking a ring. *&^%^&%$ But the cylinders are jammed. Any idea?

1979 xs1100 special
    Tim Lowe
    "Teck"
    1979 xs1100 Special

Hey Teck,

Did you install one size over pistons and bore the cylinders to match?
    79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
    80 XS650 Special
    85 KAW 454 LTD
    Dirty Dan

Comment

cylinders

You bet... one size over and bored to match
      Tim Lowe
      "Teck"
      1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Hey there Teck,

Well, did you coat the cylinders and pistons/rings with straight 30 wt oil before attempting assembly? You'll probably need to put some on top of the pistons allowing it to seep around to the cylinders and rings, perhaps even some penatrating stuff, also may need to spray it in up under the pistons against the cylinder walls as well.

Did you first check and set/file the end ring gap for your rings by putting them alone inside the cylinders? You may not have enough end gap, and so they can't compress small enough to properly fit within the cylinder??

Next, you can try a rubber mallet and gently tap on the pistons to get them moving? Try heating up the jugs with a hot blowdryer or even a light torch?

Good luck!? T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

cylinders

great advice

Will attempt your suggestions this evening. stay tuned
          Tim Lowe
          "Teck"
          1979 xs1100 Special

Comment

Ok where did you find first o/s pistons? Yamaha hasn't made them in a while ???
            Gary Granger
            Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
            2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

That's a good question. I could not fine any oversized pistons. Plenty of ring sets but no pistons. I went with standard rings and my original pistons and luckly, my cylinders will still in real good shape.
              79 XS1100 f (BIGDOG)
              80 XS650 Special
              85 KAW 454 LTD
              Dirty Dan

Comment

Working...
              X