Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedometer Problem

Hello XS'er,

I took a long ride over the weekend and noticed my clock was getting close to turn over to 16,000 miles. After I got home I forgot about noticing if it had changed. Well, today I went for another ride and noticed I had 15,999 miles on it when I started. As I was driving I watched the speedometer and the tenths dial was moving and the mileage looked like it was going to turn over to 16,000 miles but stopped short of changing. Every thing else is working on the speedometer including the trip meter.

Is there anything that I can check or try to fix this or would I have to take it apart? I guess for some this might be a desired problem to have but for me I want everything to work on my bike.

Any help or guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Stephen-Catskills

1980 XS1100SG
    Raptor 660 ACCT, Kerker turnout exhaust, progressive fork springs, Showa shocks and Tkat forkbrace.

Previous ride.
    1982 XJ650 SOLD!

Hey there Steve,

Well, at least you got 16k out of it. I got an 81SH new with only 17 miles on the clock, and at ~900 it stopped!! The tripometer still worked, the speedo still worked, so I just used the trip for fuel monitoring. Rode it that way for some 9 years/estimated 50K miles. IT NEVER BUDGED! They are sealed and a bit of a PITA to try to take apart, and I don't know for sure, but I think there are nylon type gears, and one may have gotten worn down/broken... and not sure where you'd find parts to fix it!? The fun we have with 30+ y/o components!

That and my tach are one of the reasons why I went with an aftermarket combo gauge cluster vs. getting another used gauge!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I've been through maybe 10 speedometers. They're old and the grease dries up in them and the nylon gears just wear out.

Get another one and before you install it shoot some lithium grease down inside it through the holes the lights go in. Be careful not to get crazy spraying though or you'll end up with grease on the INSIDE of the face.

Get one off an older bike and you can go faster than 85 MPH.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Somewhere on here I've got a thread about speedo swaps.
        I took a special speedo apart and put the guts in a standard square bucket.
        Some good pics of the inside.
        Ill see if i can find the thread.
        Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
        The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.
        bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
        Scarlet
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
        Hugo
        Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
        Cold weather ride

Comment

Here's the thread.
          http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36733

The Green Monster
          K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

T.C., Greg & George,

I want to thank you all for chiming in and I have enough info now to review and think about which direction to go in. My first thought would be to eventually look for another (used) speedo with the 140mph and hope that it works.

I just want to say that you guys are so helpful, knowledgeable and clever when it comes to these bikes that I don't think I would have bought my 80SG without having that support.

Thank you all!
            Steve
            Stephen-Catskills

1980 XS1100SG
            Raptor 660 ACCT, Kerker turnout exhaust, progressive fork springs, Showa shocks and Tkat forkbrace.

Previous ride.
            1982 XJ650 SOLD!

Comment

Originally posted by Surge 58 View Post
              T.C., Greg & George,

I want to thank you all for chiming in and I have enough info now to review and think about which direction to go in. My first thought would be to eventually look for another (used) speedo with the 140mph and hope that it works.

I just want to say that you guys are so helpful, knowledgeable and clever when it comes to these bikes that I don't think I would have bought my 80SG without having that support.

Thank you all!
              Steve
              Hey Steve, as you have already found out, we here at channel 11 like to offer up advice/wisdom etc.
              Another option other than a 140mph speedo is an xs1100 (79 special) 160mph speedo. (kinda rare) Or even just an 120mph speedo.
              See the thread here about swapping speedos: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36699

The Green Monster
              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Working...
              X