82 XJ not charging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 82 XJ not charging

I've been fidling with the carbs while running the bike for 10-15 minutes at a time then it sits for a while, then runs for a while.... I keep running the battery down after a couple days of doing this.

What's a good starting point for checking out the charging system? I'm not good at DC wiring so I need advice.

Thanks,

Tom Brant

The alternator is not capable ofg keeping up the demand of the bike running at idle. The engine needs to be turning at least 2K RPMs to keep up. More than that if you want to charge. If you just idle the bike, the battery WILL run down, so keep it on a charger.

-Justin

Comment

can't be that simple

Just doesn't seem like it should be that simple... So, if I were riding it (cruising) it should charge fine? Right now I'm mostly idling, with some ocassional revving to see the throttle response.

Thanks for the reply.

Tom B.

Comment

Just look at the headlight as you rev it. You'll see.

-Justin

Comment

charging

alt doesn't charge well at idle.need to keep engine revs up.use a volt meter to check charging at idle and at 2500-3000rpms. should see battery voltage at idle and voltage goes up with rpms. should see 13.5 to 14.5 at 3000 rpms. hope this helps. charge battery before testing to get good results.
          when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
          80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

Working...
          X