rear master cylinder seal mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear master cylinder seal mounting

Just how is one supposed to put on the seal that is in the middle of the shaft......it would split the seal going over those lugs on the shaft and the shaft looks like a solid piece of metal.....just what is the procedure.....

Anyway Its been awhile since I've been on the XS11 site......I wanna get out on the road with a break fix now as I will be laid up for awhile prostate removal. any input please.
    Bruce Doucette
    Phone #1 902 827 3217

Hey Bruce,

Check this tech tip by your friend Ken Talbot!

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46

Sorry to hear about your Prostate.....having to have it removed hints towards the nasty word CA! One of the fellows on the Yahoo Plus2 list just went thru a similar process! Hope it goes well and you're back in the saddle soon!!!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Thanks TC

Its been awhile TC, the XS is still runnin well just me that's the weak link now....yeah its cancer, let ya'll know how it goes as I will be hme re-cooping....hope Godzilla is still goin strong.....I really miss rallying. Nova Scotia is so far away from everywhere......take care all
      Bruce
      78XS1100
      Bruce Doucette
      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Originally posted by desert1 View Post
        Just how is one supposed to put on the seal that is in the middle of the shaft......it would split the seal going over those lugs on the shaft and the shaft looks like a solid piece of metal.....just what is the procedure.....

Anyway Its been awhile since I've been on the XS11 site......I wanna get out on the road with a break fix now as I will be laid up for awhile prostate removal. any input please.
        If you have a quality rebuild set, the rubber will stretch and go on. I usually put the rubber on a cup of water and microwave it till it is hot. Just be sure to put it on facing the right way. I lubricate it with brake fluid, which makes it easier to go on, but harder to handle.

CZ

Comment

I just did mine, front and rear, and thought the same thing. I used silicon spray to lubricate the shaft (rather than the seal which would make it slippery all over). Don't use anything with a sharp edge to get the seal over the ridges. I used a screwdriver with a rounded edge at the sides. Get one side over first, like putting a tire on, and then work it round.
          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
          X