Got the bike running (video)...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the bike running (video)...

I got my bike running and took it for a little spin over the weekend. What fun!

I cleaned, re-jetted, added pod filters to, and bench-synced the carbs to my XS11. I started it up and , as to be expected, it's running a little rough. Here is a video, unfortunately I didn't blip the throttle at all in the video, but you can hear the idle.
    My XS1100 @ idle

I am looking to get the carbs vacuum-synced and I'd like to find a place to do it here in Chicago. How much would you expect someone to charge for that service?
    81H Venturer

past bikes
    1990 Suzuki VX800
    1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
    1995 BMW K75SA

Don't waste your money having someone else sync your carbs.

Hi,

Welcome to XS11 too. I started here last year after purchasing a 1979 1100SF. I also got a parts bike that was a standard so I took the fairing and hard bags on my bike.
    I would go on and on but I just got back from taking my 2nd vehicle today to the scrapyard. The bike will be my daily driver until I get the $ up to finish paying for a friends outback.
    I had other bikes but this is my 1st 4. It all seems scary at first and then you will get the 3 mile stare. Do yourself a favor and buy yourself a vacuum manifold and sync the carbs yourself. My Motion Pro was like $80 on ebay and probably much less than one sync without the inconvience (-10 spelling) or travel. With pods you are going to have to jet and rejet until you get it right.
    I am waiting for new main jets now. Bench sync them first after they are clean and or rebuilt, Take care when setting floats(It is a pain in the ass)Make sure floats are not twisted. If brass, and look questionable boil them to leak check. When I was bench syncing at the manifold/engine throat of carb. Flip it over and look on top of butterfly. There are 3 pin sized holes. Set the butterflies in the order you are supposed to at halfway of first hole. The other trick here with the twist tie is another method but I prefer this. When the carbs are put back on the bike they will be pretty close to synched at that point. Then follow procedure for syncing on the vacuum manifold.
    I have to go. I have been up since 3:30 am again. And yes, I was working on the bike!
    Check out the tech tips scrolling down in the forums. Most of my questions are right there. TopCat has been my go to guy and always responds to my messages but check the tips 1st unless you like to feel silly too.
    Get ahold of me if you need anything.

All the best,

Jeff
    Previous bikes:
    1979 Husqvarna 390 CR (NEW)
    80's KTM 250XC
    I had a 80's
    490YZ
    TT500
    IT 490
    1986 600XT
    1988 Honda 350 XR
    2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4
    (?) Dnieper (Ural like) 2 WD Military sidecar rig
    I have a 2003 Honda 300 EX Wheeler
    and a 2010 Kawasaki 750 Brute Force Wheeler

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/1c...Garage%20Resto

Comment

Nice one. Why not buy a set of four vacuum gauges? They are cheap enough on eBay and it's easy enough to sync your own carbs. Probably cheaper too....
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by XXV View Post

I cleaned, re-jetted, added pod filters to, and bench-synced the carbs to my XS11. I started it up and , as to be expected, it's running a little rough. Here is a video, unfortunately I didn't blip the throttle at all in the video, but you can hear the idle.
        My XS1100 @ idle

I am looking to get the carbs vacuum-synced and I'd like to find a place to do it here in Chicago. How much would you expect someone to charge for that service?
        Your best bet is to order yourself the MorganCarbTune manometer. Your gonna have the carbs off and on in the future. The MotionPro manometer with the blue liquid IS crap, period, for any accuracy. I previously had the set of MotionPro with the mercury, as a mercury manometer is what everthing else is and has been based on for 50+ decades for vacuum draw accuracy, diesels, etc. The Morgan manometer compares dead-on accurate compared to my mercury manometer, before donating it to a favorite independant shop of mine who had extra mercury 'stashed'.
        Purchasing, and one use of it will MORE than pay for one carb sync from any shop, and will most likely be done MORE correctly by U(following procedure here) than any shop could do anyways.
        The downside, in your case for all-around good running in ALL rpm ranges, is the use of seperate pods instead of stock airbox. No gains from pods, and expect losses in certain rpm ranges.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Nice Bike!!

Hi,

Your bike looks SWEET!! I wish I would have started with a better example. I got my 1979 SF with a parts bike for a grand. It was running but lacked performance and had a leaky air box. I wish I had pictures and I do not know why the hell I don't. It was Ruby Red and had Moses holding the 10 commandments on the tank and Jesus on the cross on one bag and him holding a lamb respectively on the hard bags. I do some airbrushing and it was the most horrible depiction you could imagine.
          It does not look like you have too much to do with it from the picture. Good luck and have fun.

Jeff
          Previous bikes:
          80's KTM 250XC
          I had a 80's
          490YZ
          TT500
          IT 490
          1986 600XT
          1988 Honda 350 XR
          2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

Comment

Motion Pro

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Your best bet is to order yourself the MorganCarbTune manometer. Your gonna have the carbs off and on in the future. The MotionPro manometer with the blue liquid IS crap, period, for any accuracy. I previously had the set of MotionPro with the mercury, as a mercury manometer is what everthing else is and has been based on for 50+ decades for vacuum draw accuracy, diesels, etc. The Morgan manometer compares dead-on accurate compared to my mercury manometer, before donating it to a favorite independant shop of mine who had extra mercury 'stashed'.
            Purchasing, and one use of it will MORE than pay for one carb sync from any shop, and will most likely be done MORE correctly by U(following procedure here) than any shop could do anyways.
            The downside, in your case for all-around good running in ALL rpm ranges, is the use of seperate pods instead of stock airbox. No gains from pods, and expect losses in certain rpm ranges.
            Thanks for the information here. I will look into the Morgan in the future and will not be banging the drum for the motion pro stuff as I am just a victim here at this point.

Thanks,

Jeff
            Previous bikes:
            80's KTM 250XC
            I had a 80's
            490YZ
            TT500
            IT 490
            1986 600XT
            1988 Honda 350 XR
            2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

Comment

As for "Stashed Mercury"

When we were kids I had a baby food sized jar full of mercury I heisted from school. We used to pour the mercury into a metal sledding disc and play with it and slap it and it would form into little bubbles and come back together like in the Terminator. Thank god my kids are healthy. No wonder I am so F@#%$# up
              Previous bikes:
              80's KTM 250XC
              I had a 80's
              490YZ
              TT500
              IT 490
              1986 600XT
              1988 Honda 350 XR
              2005 KTM 625 SMC LC4

And now my XS1100SF

"MEDUSA"

Comment

Originally posted by clashpistol View Post
                When we were kids I had a baby food sized jar full of mercury I heisted from school. We used to pour the mercury into a metal sledding disc and play with it and slap it and it would form into little bubbles and come back together like in the Terminator. Thank god my kids are healthy. No wonder I am so F@#%$# up

Yikes! Well, the coolest things in life are dangerous.
                81H Venturer

past bikes
                1990 Suzuki VX800
                1972 Honda CL350 Scrambler
                1995 BMW K75SA

Comment

You can build your own manometer to sync the carbs. Look it up on the net.

Originally posted by XXV View Post

My XS1100 @ idle

76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                  80 XS650 G Special II
                  https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                  80 XS 1100 SG
                  81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                  https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                  AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Originally posted by donebysunday View Post
                    You can build your own manometer to sync the carbs. Look it up on the net.
                    True, cheap enough and use ATF. Doesn't hurt if gets sucked in either.
                    Better than not syncing carbs, eliminating that for any final 'running' issues.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                    X