Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are thare differences in Carb Boots between model years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are thare differences in Carb Boots between model years?

Hello,
    I have recently acquired a 1981 XS11 Special. The Carbs were off when I got it and in need of cleaning. The Carb boots look terrible. I really don't want to go through all the cleaning and rebuilding of the carbs and install them only to find out the boots are cracked and leaking.

My question is, "Are there any differences in the boots vs. model year of the bike? Or are they all interchangable between model years?"

Any preferred sources or manufacturers?

Thank you,
    Slimbob
    Slimbob
    81XS1100SH

You can remove the carb boots and visually inspect the inside with a flashlight to see if they're cracked all the way through. From what I understand, the outside and inside of the boot are made of different materials so while the outside may look bad the inside may be fine.
    78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
    79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

That is very helpful but I would like to replace them and maybe keep these for spares if they look ok inside. They have been sitting for ~12 yrs and are probably the originals.

I need to know if they are the same for all yrs 78-82 and if there are any recommendations for or against certain manufacturers.

Thank you,
      Slimbob
      Slimbob
      81XS1100SH

Comment

They are all the same for all years. SCI has them for $69....

http://www.siriusconinc.com/search_r...arch&x=36&y=15
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The carb inlet boots are cast aluminium inside, the aluminium stops maybe 1/4" short of the carb to allow the rubber to be flexible to get the carb in.

The only place you really need to check for splits/leaks is around that area, any other splits just look bad.

Here is an XS1100 inlet with the rubber removed
          Tom
          1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
          1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
          1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
          1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Thanks Guys!!!

That's what I needed to know.

Slimbob
            Slimbob
            81XS1100SH

Comment

Also, when you install new boots, I wouldn't use the paper gaskets that are included, they tend to fail after a short while. Apply RTV with your finger instead of the gasket and make sure to wipe any excess out of the inside of the boot, excessive amount beading up in there after tightening may interrupt fuel delivery. JMHO
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by TomB View Post
                The carb inlet boots are cast aluminium inside, the aluminium stops maybe 1/4" short of the carb to allow the rubber to be flexible to get the carb in.

The only place you really need to check for splits/leaks is around that area, any other splits just look bad.

Here is an XS1100 inlet with the rubber removed
                one learns something every day! I never knew re the alloy....
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                X