Windjammer V Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windjammer V Wiring

In the process of mounting a WJV to my XJ and have some wiring questions. I printed off the instructions from the Vetter website and do have the wiring pigtail. This is all that's mentioned about the wiring --

[IMG][/IMG]

The pigtail has the 9 pin connector on one end that plugs into the left side of the fairing, here is the other end --

[IMG][/IMG]

The ground is supposed to be black but I guess mine is gray. I bought bullet connectors (does the pigtail originally come with them?) and started what I hoped would be an easy process. After unplugging stock stalk front signals and connecting the pigtail wires, I have working turn signals front and rear as well as 4-ways and front running lights but have no rear running lights. My XJ wiring diagram for the signals shows these wire colors: Right front - DG,L,B. Right rear - Dg,B. Left front - Ch,L,B. Left rear - Ch,B. Why doesn't the "L" wire run to the rear lights? Here are some other pics of the WJ wires to help somebody explain what I did wrong!
    Right signal: black, green, blue...[IMG][/IMG]

Left signal: violet, green, green, black...[IMG][/IMG]

Wires inside left pocket where pigtail plugs in, you can see 6 black wires towards the bottom of the pic that are wire nutted together. These must ground the signals, headlight, and running lights, plus grounds for the red, orange, and brown wires?[IMG][/IMG]

So at this point I'm wondering why I have no running lamps at the rear?

On to the headlight...here is a pic of the existing headlight connector wiring in the bucket, 2 green w/ red, 2 yellow w/ green, and a black --[IMG][/IMG]
    One pair of the colored wires runs into a sheath and up into the computer console, the other pair has female bullet connectors (tip of my ring finger). All the other pigtail wires needed male bullet connectors to connect to the existing wire harness. So how do I wire the fairing headlight in without butchering up the existing harness? Can you buy a male connector to plug into the female connector I unplugged from the stock headlight? How do I connect the WJ yellow (low beam) and white (high beam) wires?

Hopefully some of you guys can make sense of my ramblings and point me in the right direction. Thanks all.
    Billy

1982 XJ1100, Ceramic Coated Headers, Raptor ACCT, Barnett Clutch Springs, Dremmel Fix, TC's Fuse Block, De-Linked S/S Brake Lines, 850 Final Drive, Yahman's YICS Eliminator, Pods, stock jets

Didn't have any instructions when I put mine on. It ain't rocket science.

Test light and trial and error.

2 turn signals, 2 running lights, and a headlight. All on the same ground.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

None of the XS/XJ bikes had rear running lights, so that part is normal. To run rear running lights (and be legal), you need red rear lenses, not available from Yamaha and a swap to front turn/signal light housings. At one time you could get aftermarket red lenses, but they're long out of production.
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...