gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gremlins

I know this is hard to diagnose but here goes.

doing about 40, the bike dies....
    I pull over, wait 30 seconds to a minute and it starts again.
    this happened 6 times in the hour to get home.
    in those 30 seconds, the starter does not work, and i see no draw on the neutral or the oil light when i hit the starter button.

it has blade fuses and when i got home i wiggled the fuse box while running and it died......while running, i pulled the wires from the bottom of the fuse block one by one and only the last brown wire on the right killed the bike.
    this really doesnt convince me of anything, yet.

at first i thought an electrical component was getting hot and becoming open?

perhaps it is a problem at the fuse box tan wire or the same tan wire in the ignition switch? but it doesnt kill the lights eg. oil light, neutral light, headlight.(relay jumped).

tip over switch? can i just unplug that ?
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Yes you can unplug the tip over switch, that will bypass it leaving it in the run mode. Check all your fuse box crimp on connections carefully, they can become loose.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Also check the connections inside the handlebar "Run" switch.
      |When running (while parked) wiggle on the wire to the run switch and see if that kills it.

Phil The other one
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Both of the above are the places to start and probably one is the issue.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

thanks for the help guys.
          i will check all of those.

what perplexes me is that the problem only lasts for a minute and then is ok for another ten minutes or more.

i dont suspect gas because it doesnt crank or draw power in that minute.

but i will be checking those things you guys mentioned thank you.
          Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
          1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Working...
          X