No announcement yet.

Tkat fork brace----the end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You cried for a machinist? I'm the son of a machinist...

I know that Tkat did them on a CNC machine, but they don't necessarily have to be done that way. Just so that it doesn't have to be drawn again, refer to the picture here:

Does the brace simply slide down to fit over 3 or does it have a lip at the bottom to keep it from sliding back up? It's not very clear from the pictures.

My father is an 'old-school' machinist (presently a farmer, inventor, and fix-it man) and could probably churn out a couple of functional fork braces in a day using our lathe and a drill press. They wouldn't look as pretty as Tkat's, but they would work. If you want aluminum or stainless steel we'd have to get that as I don't think he keeps any in stock. I don't know what Tkat made his from, but I'd be willing to ask my father to look into fabricating some. The measurements from that website above are the key though. If you guys want to post measurements from your bikes, I'll see what we can do this summer. Maybe I'll have 25 or 50 of the 'X' shaped pieces made in town (you pay more for the first one than the you do for the next 20 combined usually) on a CNC machine and then we can custom make the circular clamp ends to fit the various models' front ends. I suppose the most important thing is always price.

Keep us informed. I've still got 2 1/2 weeks of school and if someone can recover the data for Tkat it's a moot point.

Does the XJ suffer from the same problems in steering? Would I benefit from putting one of these on my bike?

'82 XJ1100J-John
    '78 XS1100E-Name Forthcoming (It's a Girl!)

Comment

I believe the XJ1100 came with a factory forlk brace or was stiff enough that no brace was needed. I will look at my friends Xj next time I see him, but I seem to remember them taking care of it at the factory on the XJ models.
      Bill Woods
      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

I had offered Tkat to take his disk and try to recover the date; I got a note back said he had sent it out to someone on the list already, so lets hope for the best!

The XJ has a built in fork brace, really just a stiffener, mounted under the front fender. Tkat's fork brace does not make as much difference on the XJ as it does on the XS, but still very noticeable...I recommend putting one on.

The XJ version is 'taller' than the XS so the cross-brace can clear the fender. Standard XS or Special won't fit right, you have to get the XJ version if I recall my conversation with Tkat when I ordered mine. Trouble is, that was 4 years ago, memory not what it used to be....
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Originally posted by Hepcat
          You cried for a machinist? I'm the son of a machinist...

<snip>

My father is an 'old-school' machinist (presently a farmer, inventor, and fix-it man) and could probably churn out a couple of functional fork braces in a day using our lathe and a drill press.

<snip>
          If your father is interested in cranking out fork braces in small quantity, then I’d suggest reproducing the one that goes bolts to the fender mount and has 2 steel loops that go over the fender.

Take a look at the picture of my bike at http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/pix.html it’s the on the top left of the page. I might be persuaded to loan you mine but all you really need is an XS11 front end with wheel and fender to get all the geometry right. I couldn't find one like this new and It was one of 2 that I saw on eBay last year. Needless to say I sniped it good. ;o)

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
          X