No announcement yet.

Starter Issue? 1st start of the day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually just buy THESE in the 3 pak and they last for about riding season. A little under $8 each but HiFlo is a pretty good filter.
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by unicorncomputer View Post
      Is it normal practice to pull wires and run engine a little after oil change or is it just because of the flushing the oil?
      Originally posted by BA80 View Post
      I was kinda curious about that myself. The only time I've ever done that is with a freshly assembled engine. Seems a little much for an engine that already has oil in the galleys.
      Hey Greg, yeah, I was just suggesting this because of the flushing and wanting to get as much of the flushing oil OUT, which could remove the oil from the galleys/oil pump and such.....if he bumped the starter a bit while draining. And pulling the plugs just takes the stress off of the starter and prevents it from prematurely starting before the oil pump has had a chance to reprime itself and the oil system, topend and such...hence ensuring that the oil pressure light WENT OUT with the starter cranking/pumping action.

On a regular oil change I don't pull the plug wires either, just start it and let it gently fire up and idle ensuring that the oil light goes out within a few seconds!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

+

just an update. dont know what happened to unicorn Steve but i was having the same issue with Mobil 1 on first start cold so i drained it and bought Valvoline dino 20w50 Motorcycle oil and its been starting fine. it has been much warmer tho so im not convinced it been solved. im amazed at how smoothly it shifts just like with Mobil 1. thanx to all for their inputs
        Max

81 XS1100SH Black Beast Mutt
        Kerker 4/1
        stock carbs and air box.
        78 headlite, handle bars,
        1 set of ea-160/85mph guages,
        crash bars, cruise control

Other 2 Wheelers
        78 XS1100E jet kit, Kerker 4/1, air pods, jet kit-RIP
        94 CBR1000F jet kit,Two Bros pipe, K&N Filter

Comment

+