The Swamp Thing in progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Swamp Thing in progress

OK, guys and gals, here are a couple of before / after shots of the "Swamp Thing"

She's not 100% yet, still need to finish polishing the engine covers and re-wire the loom. The carbs have been done for a couple of months. By the way, Plasti-Dip does wonders for the boots. Don't use the spray type, though, only the dip.

The color is General Motors "Medium Garnet" It has metal flake in it that you can't see in these photos, it's a cloudy day.

Note the pilot box. That is my reproduction faceplate. You can't see the S/S brake line on the right side (rear brake), but it's there as will be the fronts in a couple of days. Looks like my July 4th target is a gimme.

Can't wait to ride her.

Cheers,

Randy
    My XS

Sorry, the link to my page is just below my signature.

Comment

Randy, NICE RICE! Looks like time well spent. Have you had it running yet?

Comment

Man that is some kewl pictures..

I can imagine you cant wait to ride her...

Both of mine look alot like your before.. (one extremely close)...

But alas, a single parent of 3 kids and the penny jar doesn't fill fast..
        jeff "Wags"
        Bothell, Wa

79sf mongrel
        79sf rusty
        79 partsbike almost complete

Comment

Randy, WOW. Very dramatic!
          Marty in NW PA
          Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
          Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
          This IS my happy face.

Comment

John,

She ran before i took her apart. The before photo is actually late in the disassembly process, so it looks a lot worse than it was. At least the tank was undented and she did run well, with 150 compression across the board. To make a long story short, if I don't leave anything out, it should run!

Randy

Comment

Randy, how did you get the motor to look so good, I am in the process, of refurbishing a 79 Standard. Later 'Dog

Comment

First, sacrifice your dog to the sun god, Ra....

Oh, no, wait that was another project...

But seriously, a lot of carb cleaner to get the grease off using a couple of cases of Q-tips to get in all the nooks and crannies. Then for the oxidation, Dremel work with abrasive 80 and then 120 grit polishing buffs. Then I finished it with Duplicolor Aluminum Engine Paint available at any Auto Supply store.

The side covers are another saga, though. Lots of pitting there. They are slow going.

Time and patience are required. remember, the duration of this is 5 months to get to this point. I've spent the better part of every weekend day since December, 2003. I figure I've spent about 20 10-hour days or 200 hours so far.

And the best is yet to come.

Randy

Comment

Looks great. A lot of time well spent. As close as you are getting I'd be moving the date up to Memoral Day,I won't wait till July 4.
                  Ken
                  '79 xs1100f
                  '79 xs1100sf

Comment

Yeah, I could do that, but after 5 months, SWMBO's nerves are about shot, so I'm turning down the heat. I thought 7 months was a comfortable time frame, but now I find I'm going to need every bit of it. I figure that I'm only going to do something this nutty once in my life, so I'm not going to rush it. My Dad, GM mechanic of 40 yrs taught me to do something right or don't do it at all.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X