no giddyup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no giddyup

So, I just about finished breathing some life back into this poor neglected old thing. I hauled all the carbs out of it when I bought it and replaced all the orings and seals, soaked each carb overnight in carb cleaner and cleaned out all of the jets. Fixed my brakes up today, finally, and took the old girl for a spin. When going down the road it will run like a raped ape and then bog right down to the point where I need to drop gears to keep from stalling. It feels like a carb issue. I didnt do much in the way of a bench sync except for making sure all the butterfly and float valves were at the same adjustment. I set the idle screws to -1/4 turn. Think this may be my problem or is she do for some more major tweaking?
    80 SG

Originally posted by rileysaurus View Post
    So, I just about finished breathing some life back into this poor neglected old thing. I hauled all the carbs out of it when I bought it and replaced all the orings and seals, soaked each carb overnight in carb cleaner and cleaned out all of the jets. Fixed my brakes up today, finally, and took the old girl for a spin. When going down the road it will run like a raped ape and then bog right down to the point where I need to drop gears to keep from stalling. It feels like a carb issue. I didnt do much in the way of a bench sync except for making sure all the butterfly and float valves were at the same adjustment. I set the idle screws to -1/4 turn. Think this may be my problem or is she do for some more major tweaking?
    A whole lot of tweakin is in store. If the bike still has the later carbs with the recessed idle-mix screws, for starters, back them out 3turns. Still gonna have to do an actual mixture setting and sync before its anything close to right.
    Other than that, hard to say as you've not said whether intake or exhaust is stock, if carbies are original, or even motor for that matter.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Gas cap vent

try riding it the same with the gas cap open a bit. Could be fuel startvation from the vent being plugged. Either way a proper tune and sync will give better performance all round.
      mack
      79 XS 1100 SF Special
      HERMES
      original owner
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
      SPICA
      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
      IOTA
      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
      Frankford, Ont, Canada
      613-398-6186

Comment

Hey Riley,

The first red flag for me is that you soaked the carb bodies in CARB CLEANER! If you used that caustic stuff like Berryman's or GUNK brand and it has petroleum products, then you may have fried your butterfly shaft seals and have massive vacuum leaks!?

Secondly, surprised someone didn't also suggest checking out the pickup coil wires. They can be intermittent in their functionality....under strong throttle okay, but when trying to cruise, the vacuum advance module kicks in rotating the timing plate which flexes the wires and can pull them apart=loss of signal, no spark, no go....until you downshift and crank the throttle which allows the timing plate to rotate back to unadvanced allowing the wires to reconnect.

You have a Special, did you remove the Octopus? If not, then you can also try putting the pectocks on PRIME to help ruleout some of the flow restrictions, but the gas cap can also be clogged and the only test for that is as stated, leave it popped open,just be careful when riding so as not to slosh it out of the filler opening!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
        X