1978 Xs1100 Seat Cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1978 Xs1100 Seat Cover

LOOKING FOR A COMFORTABLE SEAT COVER FOR MY 78 XS1100, IF ANYONE HAS COME ACROSS ONE I WOULD APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION.

Go to your local fabric store and get a yard of heavy vinyl in your choice of color. Lay it on the floor with the seat pan and foam inverted on it. Starting in the middle stretch the sides around the pan and attach them to the little hooks on the pan. Work your way out to the ends stretching and hooking as you go. I had to put two small folds in the rear corners to get a good smooth fit but did not have to sew any. It takes some time and patience and an extra hand helps at times, but you get a nice, smooth, waterproof seat in any color for only a couple bucks. Extra foam padding can be purchased at the same time (cheap) if your factory foam is beat as mine was. Trimming to rough size when starting helps, just be sure to leave it large enough to get a grip on it for stretching. One yard will do 2 seats, or let you screw up and do it twice.
    buffalo
    80 XS1100SG

Comment

The seat cover does not contribute to "comfort" if it is simple vinyl like the original. The cheapest way to go, and still retain the looks of the original, is to order a seat skin.
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Planetalk1, what is uncomfortable about it? Search old threads this has been discussed, you might find some ideas there.

When I bought the Mangler, it came with a Travelcade double bucket seat from JC Whitney. The cover was in good shape, but foam under was very soft, not at all firm enough for me. It would grab my butt as I slowly slid forward and cause much pain after an hour of riding. The seating position was too far forward for my long legs, and it was tipped a little forward due to the shot foam, causing me to slide forward just a little over time.

I took it to a furniture repair guy, and gave him my personal design. I now have a straight seat, no buckets, plain vinyl, about 1" or so taller where I sit, with very firm foam. Basically I can sit forward or move back a little and not slide forward. I added a beaded seat pad and I can ride for hours now. $100 or so for the seat and IIRC $25-35 for the beaded seat.

To add to the length of your trip, be sure you have good springs in the front and good shocks on the back. If you have very soft foam which compresses fully when you sit, and worn suspension, you will need a true iron butt for any lengthy riding.
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

78 XS1100

My 78 needed a seat cover 5 yrs ago and I think it was my first upgrade, cost $78 Cdn at the time at a local bikeshop and simply went on with a hidden draw string. It stil looks good and has'nt deteriorated, made by travelcade.
          Bruce
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

seat cover

Had mine hand made from an apolstry shop charged me 100 doolars that was five years ago.I recently went to a shop to check on leather they want $500 to copy what i have in the orange leather.
            1982 XJ 1100
            going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
            now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

i have a xs1100special with a honda cx500c seat,see my photo's on a dutch motorbike site
              http://www.motor-forum.nl/forum/topic/59328
              xs1100 black 78 2h9 on the road
              xs1100 red 79 special with sidecar running on LPG and gas!
              xs1100 silber 79 2h9 o t r
              xs1100 white 80 2h9 Martini o t r
              xs1100 red 78 2h9 Martini o t r
              xs1100 black 80 special o t r
              xs1100 black 80 2h9 in parts sleeping
              xs1100 black 81sport for sale!sleeping
              xs1100 silber 81 2h9 i.p. sleeping
              xs1100black81midnspeciali.p.sleeping
              cbx1000 grey prolink 81 sleeping
              cbx1000prolink 83 in parts sleeping
              gsx750ex red 81 in parts sleeping

Comment

Thanks

Hey thanks for the replys the seat I have isn't in to bad but I would like one with a little more cushion. I guess a seat cover would probably work. Thanks again for the replies.

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by Planetalk1
                  Hey thanks for the replys the seat I have isn't in to bad but I would like one with a little more cushion. I guess a seat cover would probably work. Thanks again for the replies.
                  You should be able to put in a layer of carpet padding under the stock foam to compensate for the how much it has broken down over the years and have it all fit under a stock replacment seat cover.

Geezer
                  Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                  X